You can type here any text you want

Extender Chip Problem - No Start

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fullahotair

I transplanted an 86/87 motor in my 85 GN. A few weeks ago, we got the car running. Initailly it would start up, run for a second or two and stall. That problem turned out to be a TPS sensor. I replaced that, car started right up and ran perfectly (ls1 MAF, TRANS +, extender chip). We started it numerous times that day with no issues. Fast forward a couple weeks after i got the brakes installed and bled, I went to start the car for the first time since I first had it run, and it starts up for a second and stalls. TPS values are normal. I had an old chip (not for my current setup), so i pulled out the extender chip, replaced it with this "older chip", and the car starts up and idles just fine. I am concluding it is something with the extender chip.

I haven't even messed with any of the settings of the chip or the trans+. The chip has anti-theft, so i tried that sequence, but still it won't stay running...

Sorry for the long post... any ideas?

Thanks,
Nate

If it starts and runs for a second or two that's your anti-theft feature.
You'll need to check your documentation on the steps to disable it. The answer wont be posted here in a public forum.

Thanks for the reply, I looked in my paperwork and followed the procedure to disable it, but it didn't work. Does it make sense that I wouldn't need to do that procedure when i first got it running a few weeks ago, but now I would?

I also got a code 51 or 52 (i can't remember) (bad prom or calpak)...Is that typical of the antitheft?

Thanks,
NAte

I wonder if any of the "sensors" used in the deactivation sequence of the chip aren't working.. you can PM if you think that may be part of the issue... I have had the entire car apart, so anything is possible...

Thanks,
Nate

For the Extender chip
Translator dip switches are:
on on on off
Regular chip
on on off off
Could be your problem

thanks for the reply... i am pretty confident the switches are set right or at least "right enough", as I had it running with the current settings the first time i got the engine running. I had started it numerous times that day...started and ran perfect (idle at least, haven't driven it)...

Fast forward two weeks... Those setting haven't changed, when i tried to start it yesterday, it did the start/run for 2 secs/ then die.

But i'll double check the switchs...

Thanks,
NAte

I had an issue with my anti-theft not being able to turn it off. Ended up being that my battery voltage was low. I mean, if it was just below 12V, you couldn't turn off the anti-theft. It still had enough power to start the car, but not enough to deactivate the antitheft. Try putting a battery charger on it, go through the deactivation sequence again and see if that doesn't get you started :biggrin:

Without being specific :rolleyes:

I've followed the procedure also and found a misadjusted Discombobulator cable causing a prnd2l sensor to read incorrectly. ya feel me braa ;)

was a real pain in the pants....

I had the same problem with the extender chip. Chip was bad. Fullthrottle took care of me, but I replaced with a TT chip later anyway. My car runs better with the TT chip.

Back