You can type here any text you want

external oil feed to rockers s2 heads

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

norbs

Classic fast, XFI, SPortsman & MS3 programming
I need to feed oil to the rocker shafts, is a -3AN per side enough split from a single -4 an which will also feed the turbo?

I need to feed oil to the rocker shafts, is a -3AN per side enough split from a single -4 an which will also feed the turbo?

I used a -4AN tee from the rear tap in the block and pressed a slug of aluminum with a .040" hole to each of the 90 degree -4AN fittings in the head. Some oil may be supplied by the pushrods depending on the lifters used and the amount of restriction to the lifters. In my case, lifter bushings have .040" holes feeding them also.

If you leave the oil unrestricted, you will put to much oil in the overhead and possibly have drainback issues. I found that there was to much oil when running unrestrictrd.

Allan G.

Thanks, wonder what others have done? What;s Donnie going to do? How did you determine .040" size is best?

You have a stage 1 block, correct? It should oil the lifters through the lifter galleys. You can feed the rockers through the pushrods like you did with the TA heads. The only time you would have to feed the rockers externally is if you are using a stage 2 block thats not had the lifter bores drilled into the galley.

Thanks, wonder what others have done? What;s Donnie going to do? How did you determine .040" size is best?

This size was recomended to me by my machinest. He seems to have some extensive experience with oil control. You wouldn't believe how much oil can come out of that small hole.
It is possible that I could eliminate the external oiling completly but didn't want to chance it and go that far.

Allan G.

Norbs,

If you are planning on using a lifter with HIPPO(pin oiling) than you will want to put some thought in oil control. I fount that the combination of HIPPO oiling and unrestricted oiling to the rocker shafts resulted in low oil pressure at idle.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the newer comp lifters come standard now with this feature. The Crower lifters have it as an option.

Allan G.

I'm oiling the upper end through the pushrods and blocking the oiling passages in the heads. The rocker shaft I'm using is solid and doesn't use the external oiling provision.

No HIPPO lifters, MIke from TA says its not needed for our Buicks ( don;t really agree with that but he is more knowledgeable than me). The rockers I have are ball and cup ends, and solid push rods, so no chance of oiling through the push rod at all. I will be putting in a NOS jet so I can adjust the jet size I'll try the .040 and see how it goes.

Thanks
Norb

No HIPPO lifters, MIke from TA says its not needed for our Buicks ( don;t really agree with that but he is more knowledgeable than me). The rockers I have are ball and cup ends, and solid push rods, so no chance of oiling through the push rod at all. I will be putting in a NOS jet so I can adjust the jet size I'll try the .040 and see how it goes.

Thanks
Norb
My last engine configuration didn't have the HIPPO oiling and the lifters looked perfectly good after 10+ years of street driving and lots of idle time. Now with the increase in spring loads and bigger cam, I chose to have a more conservative approach with regards to the HIPPO option. There is such a thing as to much oil but just need to be more aware when adding these things and keep everythink in control.
Allan G.

My last engine configuration didn't have the HIPPO oiling and the lifters looked perfectly good after 10+ years of street driving and lots of idle time. Now with the increase in spring loads and bigger cam, I chose to have a more conservative approach with regards to the HIPPO option. There is such a thing as to much oil but just need to be more aware when adding these things and keep everythink in control.
Allan G.
I agree, Allan. With a street cam and street spring pressures, I also agree with Mike. I would not consider HIPPO a necessity for a street setup. Although, I don't see how it would hurt if the engine oiling system, as a whole, was well thought out.

Back