External wastegate

dvernst

Is there any reason why I couldn't use a TH elbow from a GN if I just used the flange and cut off the bend and remade it? Also How hard is it to just go to an external wastegate? Then it wouldn't matter? Right?

Thats what i was thinking. All that is valuable is the internal gate. But in your case, it wouldnt matter at all. To me, internal is easier and cheaper.

Jason

ATR made me an external gate down pipe that was set up for a Turbonetics deltagate. It was quicker and easier to adjust the boost than any puck style set up I've ver been around. I had a T-netics dial a boost set up hooked up to it and I could set the boost from 10# to 30# with a simple turn of the knob which I had along side my shifter console.
If I was going to jump through some hoops to make a down pipe then I would put the little extra work into setting up for an external gate.

I know of people who have gone from houston / flapper style gates to external set ups and not one of them would ever switch back.

BTW: A wastegate can be mounted on the cross over pipe. This makes the downpipe very simple because theres no wastegate stuff at all attached to it. Its a very easy and basic setup to attach a waste gate to an x-over.

HTH: Jason

Melissa has the "flapper" in her car .. she has gone 10.10 in street trim with more left in it :eek: BUT hey I like stock style junk :p keepin it simple and stupid all the way :rolleyes:

Well stupid an external waste gate is simple you just have to be smart enough to realize it.

Jason

i dont think its a wise idea to spend 400 on a thdp just to cut it up when u can take that 400 and buy a quality SUPERIOR external gate.

take the ext. gate and weld it to your header. dump the outlet at the ground.

now you are left with two options

1. run the stock downpipe with the internal gate wired shut. since a portion of your exhaust is going out the gate, it will breathe easier.

2 fab a very simple 3 inch downpipe.

This is not a "good enough" solution, it is the best.

I use a 44mm Tial wastegate and my datalogs show zero movement from my settings.

p.s. the 90 elbow on a gn thdp is very different from a tta thdp.

surej

I like the word "Simple" :tongue:

I think i'll change mine from integral to external.. should go from 10.5 to 9.99 easy :D

I am waiting to see results :eek: :biggrin: takin Melissa's beater for a 4 hour ride tomorrow to the booney's of NH :eek:

"Is there any reason why I couldn't use a TH elbow from a GN if I just used the flange and cut off the bend and remade it? "

you would be destroying a pipe you could sell for good money just to get a flange and puck. I dont think you would wind up using enough of the Houston pipe to come out very good on it. I think you would be better off selling it and using the money to cover the cost of fabing your new TTA pipe.

"Also How hard is it to just go to an external wastegate? Then it wouldn't matter? Right?"

Its easy and simple to set up an external waste gate. You obviously have some tools and knowledge if you're considering making your own down pipe. You will find that setting it up for an external waste gate will be a snap and you will laugh at anyone who said a flapper style would have been easier. I set up an external waste gate on my x-over pipe in my TTA. It was VERY EASY to do. Once this is done the down pipe itself because simpler and easier to make also.

So if you want YOUR QUESTION answered: "NO its not hard to do at all, infact its pretty damn simple."

I'll now step back and let the resident yoo yangs continue to make asses out of themselfs in the eyes of anyone who has knowledge of the subject and knows the answere to your question.

good luck with your project.

Jason

I have an internal gate in my TTA and an external on my GN. I have to say I like the external better since it is easier to adjust.

I have an integral. Zero adjustment. Boost controller does that.

Next :)

Not gonna get into which is better, but from my experiences I like the external better. I currently run an Innovative pro gate(dumped to atmosphere)and multi stage boost controller - boost is set to 5psi min on the gate and it's been rock solid up to 28psi so far, along with multiple stages and a launch stage it's been one of the keys to my successes in bracket racing.

Steve

so now i need another 300 for a boost controller...:biggrin:

what happened to K.I.S.S ?

hi julio:cool:

Yeah but I think you've spent way more on other things :eek:

That Innovate Boost controller is 680 bills.. external gate another 300 bills.. fab it up.. a few hundred bills easy..

300 and integral is sounding better ;)

Yeah but I think you've spent way more on other things :eek:

That Innovate Boost controller is 680 bills.. external gate another 300 bills.. fab it up.. a few hundred bills easy..

300 and integral is sounding better ;)

im using the same greddy controller on my t-type as you.

on the mazda im using a regular dial a boost.

they both work about the same.

dont forget to add the cost of a THDP into your pricing.