You can type here any text you want

F-Body Radiator

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

VictoryTrans86

I currently have an aftermarket 4 Row Brass/copper radiator in my BBC Regal. Its the one that BGC sold years ago that was a direct replacement for our cars, if anyone is familiar. It used to be in our 9 sec GN w/ no cooling problems whatsoever, but is just not cooling the way I'd like w/ the big block. I know the alum. F Body radiators are an improvement over stock (as is the radiator I currently have) I was just wondering if anyone w/ experience w/ them thinks it might be any improvement over what I have now. The car is pretty mild as of right now w/ about 550 HP, but a blow thru turbo setup is in the near future, and wouldn't want to have to get yet another radiator. Any help is appreciated, thanks

Tony

I have an f-body radiator. It has 2 rows. it cools all I need to, but you'd be asking alot IMO

the F-body guys seem to like swapping for be cool radiators, so I'd think if they have to upgrade from them, it probably wouldn't work too good in your car with that kind of power.

oops, meant to put this thread in the general tech area...oh well

But yeah, thats what's I was thinking. Wanted to double check because ya never know. Anyone have any experience w/ those universal type alum. radiators that summit sells for like $170? I bought one years ago for another car and never got to use it

Tony

I ran a 4 core brass radiator for a couple years but had to drive carefully with a frontmount to avoid overheating in the 100+ degree summers here. Installed the F-bod aluminum and it never gets above 175 degrees. With both setups I ran the dual fan setup which helped.

I ran a 4 core brass radiator for a couple years but had to drive carefully with a frontmount to avoid overheating in the 100+ degree summers here. Installed the F-bod aluminum and it never gets above 175 degrees. With both setups I ran the dual fan setup which helped.

On average, how many degree difference would you guess it was? And I'm in FL, so trust me I know about heat, it sucks

How did you get it to work? Mine only works if it is cooler than 85 degrees out.

The 3 row stock style radiator doesn't work and I have the F-body radiator setup with two fans and a homemade shroud in my car now with the front mount PTE and it ain't working either.

Put a new thremostat in with the new motor.
Both thermostats open in warming water on the stove at the same time at 164-168 degrees.

If I just cruise easy it will hold 175-182 here in Gainesville, Florida on a 95 degree day without the A/C. But if I boost it goes to 195+ in a heartbeat. If I run the A/C and never boost it still goes to 195-197 on the open road and 205 in traffic.

I think the coolant is flowing too fast through it to dump the heat.

Need some other suggestions please.

Mikey

The F body radiator looks a lot thinner, I'm surprised it works at all on our cars.

The f-body has allot going for it over the stocker. It looks thinner because it is. It also has larger tubes and can flow more air. IMO it sounds like you're setup is serious enough to just do it once and do it right. Go get a becool and be done. Yes they are pricey but having had one I can tell you they work like no other. I had an s-10 with a 400 sbc that I couldn't keep cool. I dropped in a becool and if I was moving more than 10 MPH the temp gauge wouldn't come off of the t-stat temp. It worked so well I didn't even put a fan on it. My second choice would be a griffen as I've had a few friends with those that were very satisfied. That's my 2 cents. james

Anyone have any experience w/ the Summit or Jegs universal type? I guess I'll spend the few hundred dollars if I have to, but I'd rather spend less than 200 and put that money elsewhere:D

Anyone have any experience w/ the Summit or Jegs universal type? I guess I'll spend the few hundred dollars if I have to, but I'd rather spend less than 200 and put that money elsewhere:D

Don't know if it's the same type, but I got a universal aluminum 2row 1in tubes... from a dirt track site. Northern, I think:confused: Was about the same price.

Used that in my 84 Cutlass with a Buick 455... mild motor, 12:1, cam, headers, intake, etc. flat 12's average with high 11's every now and again.

In SW FL, with a dual fan setup off of a late model Import... I could't get it over 200°. and I wasn't even running a T-stat:eek:

HTH.

EDIT: just checked that summitt rad... it looks EXACTLY like the one I had FWIW.

i used the one from summit in my t-type & it worked so well, i swapped it into my gn when i sold the t. 165/170 with the a/c on,bumper to bumper traffic,180. it has a trans cooler but no engine oil cooler.

Back