Factory Tachometer Hookup

J

JRIGSBY_WE4

Can anyone tell me why my tachometer does not work, I figured it's a wire not hooked up. However, I do not know where to start to find out where the wire is or where it connects. Please help. Thanks!

When I got my GN back in Sept of last year the factory LED tachometer just showed 1 bar and not working. I discovered that the wires behind the alternator (I think it is green) was not connected. In my case the previous owner had cut the factory connector off and I had the twist them together. It works now but is way off on the RPMs. At idle it is showing 2000 RPMS. I'm thinking of just disconnecting it and getting a pillar tach.

If anyone knows how to correct the LED tach to show close to the proper RPMs please let us know! That is one of the GN's conversation items.

Those wires that you found behind the alternater are supposed to be disconnected. Do not plug them in or spliced them together. Those wires were like that from the factory...take them apart and the tach might actually work properly.

Freejack, the tach problem you described sounds like what happens when you plug those tach wires together behind the alternator. See if they are plugged in and unplug them. might work then.

I disconnected my green wires and the tach works now but is way off. I'm showing 2000rpm at idle. ????????

bout par for the course...one of mine is redlined at idle and both of the others are about like yours...happens with age.

John Spina of Caspers is now fixing them.

Ok, then it's hooked up properly but the tach itself is worn out and not accurate. I'll get an aftermarket tach and leave the factory one still working, its cool looking anyway when lit up.

Thanks for the info guys!