You can type here any text you want

false knock?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

buick83-T

83' T-type
Changed my hanger and secondary rods to H hanger and CV secondary rods with the secondaries AV opened up to 75%. I am only currently running 10 psi boost. My question is should I be having knock with 93 octane and K&N cold air? My OTC was showing some knock highest i saw was 12 but mixture was showing rich this was at low speed in 2nd gear and then going to full boost. My car does have a shift kit too making the shifts hard thought that might be part of it too. Mostly the knock stayed low though around 2-5 i think. Was wondering if this is just false knock?

Thanks

Check to see if your A/C is hitting the up pipe,
How are your motor mounts?
Any loose parts around...lol
I think that B4Black has afew ideas on this.

Richening the seconadaries would only help with knocking at WOT. The secondaries don't open until ~90% of throttle movement.

When does it knock? About what psi? WOT or part throttle? Can you here it at all? What coolant temp are you usually at?

If your seeing knock at part throttle and lower boost (this is the problem I have with my '83), start looking elsewhere. Use the OTC to make sure all the sensors are working (like the MAP).

False knock is bad too. It doesn't hurt the engine, but the timing is still being retarded.

What your static timing ? I got around 12# on my old setup with 93 octane.

The knocking is seems to be showing will start anytime i go into hard acceleration. I seem to get more knock when going slow speed then nailing it. If im in say third or O/D and nail it shows less knock like 2 or something. Went as high as 12 when I was running 15-20 mph and then nailing the gas going up to full boost.
I have a 160 stat in but not sure what temp i am running at. I dont hear any sounds of pinging or anything like it is knocking. I do need to check out my motor mounts as T-type83 said. Right now it is in the upolstery shop having new carpet, door panel material and seats done. I will check it out more as soon as i get it back.

running lean

Found the problem it must be getting some knock but it isnt making the pinging knock sound. The otc was showing my O2 to be at 610 at WOT:eek: . I was going by the rich/lean thing on the scan tool. I dont know alot on this and didnt know that ubove 500 was considered rich. What rods should I run with my H hanger to work with the secondaries opening 75%. What about the CE rods they are the richest with the long tip?

I would try them with the stock hanger first, then the H.
With the long tip, hangers shouldn't matter or so says doug roe.
Jim

Back