Fan Problem

TUG_87GN

Hi,

I drove the GN to work yesterday and a little while after I got home and parked in the garage the fan started running at high speed. The only way to stop it was disconnect the battery.

I do have a high speed fan switch installed and check that but it was not the problem. I haven't troubleshot the rest of the system yet, just looking for input on some possible areas to look.

TIA

Greg Adams
87 GN
83 T-Type
71 Monte Carlo
95 C1500

Sounds like the fan relay is bad.That's the big relay on the driver's inner fender,has two plugs going into it.Seen this one before.

Could it be the fan relay but did you let it run? If the engine temps are in the high the fan should come on to cool off the engine for about 5-10min and will shut off.

Check the fan relay, mine did that and the fan relay was a rusted pile of junk inside.
Tarey D.

The car sat for about 30 min. before the fan started running. I have left the hi speed by pass switch on before and the fan runs for about ten min. after you turn the car off then shuts off. I think it is going to be either a bad relay or the hi temp switch thats gone bad.

I don't have a fan switch wired into mine, but I unplugged my fan delay relay to keep it from coming on like yours did & draining the battery.

The other day I got in the car & fired it up. The fan started running. The car had been sitting for about 3 hours.

There's ALOT of good fan info in the archives. I haven't tried trouble-shooting mine yet, although I may have to if it happens again.

One thing I didn't mention is that sometimes the two smaller relays will cause this same problem. The three relays are supposed to be interconnected.

If you do happen to replace the bigger one (fan delay), & the problem still exists, replacing the two small ones may be the ticket.

The temp. sensor in the manifold (next to the throttle body), could also be to blame.