You can type here any text you want

Fan relay?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

iwantatta

I just took ownership of my first TTA today. What an awesome car this is!!!
The car is stock other than a K&N air filter.

I'm currently having a problem with the fan relay. You can hear it click constantly at idle. The consistent clicking speeds up with the revs. I've tried replacing the relay but to no avail.

The driver side fan looks like its on, but i guess its cycling on and off with the clicking of the relay. The passenger side fan is not on. Should the passenger side fan be on?

There are no check engine lights on.

Anybody else have this problem?

only when the a/c is on does the other fan kick on. Try a new relay to see if it stops cycling

Thanks for the reply.

Looks like the clicking sound could be coming from 2 relays next to each other. It was kind of hard to tell.

From researching pictures and going to the autopart store it looks like i have been replacing the AC compressor relay. Both still seem to be clicking. When i bought the car, i was given the relay and was told it is the fan relay. Looks like it is the AC compressor relay.

The part i have looks like this
http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/n...r=15584281&prmenbr=5806&usrcommgrpid=79861143

not like this
http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/n...r=15584549&prmenbr=5806&usrcommgrpid=79861144

Are the AC compressor relay and coolant fan relay next to each other?

Howdy-

i just saw in the cars for sale section that you just bought this car-
Awesome cars! ive owned 2 of them #340 and #14

is the battery low?

i noticed that my relays right next to the battery, would chatter once the battery started getting low and there wasnt anything wrong with the relays-

my car sat mostly, and the battery would always be dead after a few months-
get a meter and see what the battery goes down to once the relays start chattering-

BW

I may have figured out the problem. Both relays mounted on the firewall seem to have been bad at the same time. The one i had replaced was actually not the radiator fan relay but the AC compressor relay i believe.

I replaced the radiator fan relay with a new one and the clicking noise went away. However, when i turn on the air conditioner the clicking comes back. As soon as i turn it off it goes away.

Just need to get another AC relay.

It's amazing how many owners of these cars have owned more than one.

When my fan relay started acting up, I simply unplugged it for the radiator fan, no tthe AC one. Its only used to keep the fans running after engine shutdown which seems a little pointless since the coolant switch is in the block, running the fan after shutdown will only cool the contents of the radiator.

Back