Fan Runs Constant

puregn

Fan comes on when car started, stops when car shut off. Runs constant when car is running. Replaced control relay, but no change in operation. Suggestions please as to what I should check next. Want to solve this problem before I install dual Ramchargers fan. Car has aftermarket chip, I believe it may be a Jay Carter.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Mike D.

Can you tell if it's high speed or low?

Likely it's high and the high temp switch has been grounded for that purpose. It's the single wire that goes to the high temp switch on the intake. It is located ~ below the throttle linkage and I think the wire is green The switch screws down into the intake. Some guys (including myself) run a switch and ground this wire to manually run the fan on high. If this is the case, then the delay relay is bad because it should continue to run after shutdown for ~ 5 to 10 minutes.

If it's low speed, this is typically controlled by the chip and most aftermarket chips turn it on around 170. Maybe the chip is burned to run all the time?

I had the same problem with my car! I had a jay carter chip that I had for awhile and I think when I first got the chip it was fine. Now that chip causes the fan to run all the time. When I put another chip in it is fine.

99% of the time it's the fan delay relay...pull it and throw that f'er away! It's on the drivers fender, the relay near the firewall with 2 large wires running into it.

I just installed a new fan relay (the large relay on the driver's side fender). Is there another relay I should be looking at changing? I thought there was only the one! I also suspected the chip was the culprit but will check out the high temp wiring also to see if it is all in proper order.

Thanks all.
Mike D.

Same problem here

The low speed fan on mine is always on since I turn on the car. It started ever since I did the heads, but I cant find the culprit either.

There are two fan relays on the fender well, and those are rarely the problem i find. Maybe a false temperature reading ?. I know I supposedly have a 160 Tstat but the car stays at 200 degrees, even though it cycles fine.

If i think of any other information ill be sure to let you know :confused:

I had a JC chip in my car before I switched to a Extender. I believe he burns his chips to have the fan run all the time
JFH

I just got mine back from a year away (actually sold to to a guy in AK), and bought it back in pieces...HUGE MISTAKE. Note to self: Do not trust anyone...get the agreement in writing. This f'er played himself off as a devout Christian...and totally BS'ed me, assuring me that there wouldn't be any surprises, that there wouldn't be a 100 things to still put back together. IOW, I told him 8 times I didn't want a project car, and that I would agree to buy the car back with the motor and trans out, but that everything else should be in place. Guess what...

Anyway, enough whining...

The fan has been running constantly upon starting. After reading this thread, I pulled the connector from the fan relay (dr. side; nearest firewall), whichs now causes it to run normally. I.e., it comes on a 165, and off at 159, as the chip dictates. What's up with that? No, I can't tell if it's on low or high. I have dual Spal fans.

That's the delay relay, and it's probably bad. Everything will function normally without it.