You can type here any text you want

Fans stay on constantly.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Grand_87_national

I lika... do da cha cha.
Hello, all. Yesterday, I went to start my gn after it sat for a few days and the battery was completely dead. After hooking up the charger, I heard the fans kick on. It is in a climate controlled garage at about 68* F. Now, I haven't had the car long, but the fans have always shut off after a few minutes of sitting. Previous owner informed me that there is a Caspers harness and he believes it's triggered by the ecm. I followed the wires for a bit and saw a couple relays and fuses downstream. I believe they are Dodge intrepid fans. What can I do to get them to switch on and off properly? I don't see any manual adjustments in the system.

20160604_111756.jpg

Attachments

• 20160604_111745.jpg
    20160604_111745.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 99
Start with the OEM fan delay relay, these were know to go bad and cause the fans to run all of the time.

It will be a little more challenging if it something else as it is hard to say what changes / modifications
have been done to your fan wiring over the years.

The fan delay relay was originally there to provide hot soak and overtemp cooling being triggered by a single wire
sensor on top of the intake manifold under the throttle body towards the drivers side.
We use it as a between rounds cooling fan that runs 8-10 minutes by adding a wire and switch in the cock pit.

Go to this link and look at items 22, and then 23,24 to get more familiar.
I can get you a copy of the wiring later.

http://www.gnttype.org/maint/sensors.html

Well, the relays are no longer mounted on the inner fender wall. However, there are 2 single connecter relays still intact, and 2 connectors that are no longer plugged into a relay. Since the fan delay relay is a 2 connector.... I'd say it's already been deleted. So, no luck there. I may just put the fans on a kill switch for the time being.

I would advise you to try to get to the bottom of this issue as I have seen sketchy unskilled wiring practices result in complete vehicle loss due to non fused feeders and under sized wires/relays and all other sorts of ill stuff resulting in full on or partial vehicle fires.

If you wire in a toggle switch the switch must be able to handle the Hi current loads that cooling fans require, Most switches are not up to that task.

The two single connector relays may still be utilized controlling your existing fan set-up and there is a
good possibility that one of the two following scenarios has happened.

1. one of the relay contacts has welded closed due to overloading condition.
  2. There is an external trigger source commanding one of the relays to turn on.

I would advise you to try to get to the bottom of this issue as I have seen sketchy unskilled wiring practices result in complete vehicle loss due to non fused feeders and under sized wires/relays and all other sorts of ill stuff resulting in full on or partial vehicle fires.

If you wire in a toggle switch the switch must be able to handle the Hi current loads that cooling fans require, Most switches are not up to that task.

The two single connector relays may still be utilized controlling your existing fan set-up and there is a
good possibility that one of the two following scenarios has happened.

1. one of the relay contacts has welded closed due to overloading condition.
  2. There is an external trigger source commanding one of the relays to turn on.
Thank you. I definitely will. And when I said "put a kill switch on the fans", I was thinking "fan relays", so the switch wouldn't have to handle any load from the fans themselves, instead, just trigger the relay to open.

Start with the OEM fan delay relay, these were know to go bad and cause the fans to run all of the time.

It will be a little more challenging if it something else as it is hard to say what changes / modifications
have been done to your fan wiring over the years.

The fan delay relay was originally there to provide hot soak and overtemp cooling being triggered by a single wire
sensor on top of the intake manifold under the throttle body towards the drivers side.
We use it as a between rounds cooling fan that runs 8-10 minutes by adding a wire and switch in the cock pit.

Go to this link and look at items 22, and then 23,24 to get more familiar.
I can get you a copy of the wiring later.

http://www.gnttype.org/maint/sensors.html
Are the low speed and high speed relays battery hot? If so, these could also be the culprit, yes? Also, I can't easily tell if these original relays are bypassed with the caspers harness without tearing apart the wire loom and tracing wires.

Back