You can type here any text you want

FAST B2B fouling #1 plug

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Spud

I'm having an issue with fouling #1 cylinder and have been through the following to trouble shoot thus far to no avail;

1. Changed lead wires
2. Changed plugs 3 times (NGK TR6, TR7-IX, Autolite AR 103)
3. Changed coil packs
4. Swapped to an alternate EDIS-8 module
5. Compression test (All good)
6. Leak down test (also good)
7. Checked timing with spout in and out with reading on FAST dashboard.
8. Had all injectors in to be tested and flowed and they all check out 100%.

I've got the intake manifold being changed right now from a custom short runner intake I had on to the stock intake I know there was no fouling issues with, but there wasn't any evidence when I removed it. I also have a Kenn Belle BAS that I was running and am disconnecting that as well. I have a 3 bar MAP in now and a 2 bar MAP on the sidelines and so I can change MAPs to see if that's possibly it. I keep fouling plug in cylinder #1 and it comes out black and sooty, not wet. So, there's some sort of combustion and ignition going on although the ignition may be a problem? I've been through every inch of the ignition and components and don't see a problem so I'm wondering if it's a FAST issue, because that's the one component I haven't tested or sent back to FAST for testing.

I did have this same FAST setup on my car with the Procharger on it and there was never a plug fouling problem. Once I get the intake and all back together, I can test spark. One other thing, I did purchase a new MSD DIS-4 unit but that may just exacerbate the problem I'm having..?

Any suggestions?

A bad valve guide/seal would make it burn alot if oil in that cyl, even a bad oil ring would give you compression but still foul the cyl with oil. Look down the intake if the intake valve is oil soaked, same with exh.

Try moving that injector to another cylinder? Look at the PW with a scope. The wire to that injector might be grounded or shunted to another in the harness somewhere.

#1 cylinder fouling

Thanks for the suggestions. The intake is pretty well free of any signs of oil, certainly there's no more signs of it in cylinder #1 than the others. I've been running a short runner intake, which is a popular mod on the 4V mod motors. I had suspected an intake leak was maybe causing a lack of air under boost and so I swapped back in the stock long runner intake.

*Note: This is a freshly built motor from top to bottom, so I doubt it's a ring or valve issue. I did a leak down test to compliment the compression test anyhow and it all turned up perfect.

I just finished re-assembling it all and hooking up the electronics to my new DIS-4 plus. I removed the KB BAS for an MSD, and also changed up my MAP sensor just to see if maybe the MAP was bad? I've gone over all the injector wires as close as I can and couldn't see a problem. I changed the injectors to different cylinders though, just to see... Again, I paid about $200 to get all the injectors cleaned, and tested and they all flowed perfect.

The last thing to check is the FAST box itself, or possibly on a remote chance it could be the trigger wheel? The search is getting more narrow, and I'm persistent and so I'll find it. Meanwhile if anyone has any other suggestions???

Regards,

Spud

Post a pic of the spark plugs i want to see what you mean by fouled?

Thanks

Fouled plugs...

Hey Norb,

I've taken a couple pics of the plugs, but don't know how to add it to this, and my wife is now leaning on me for something??? I think I attached it just now?

I'll try and finger it out later, but in the meantime if you give me your e-mail I can send you the pics...

Thanks,

Spud

p.s. As for switching the injector wires, can't really do that without hacking the harness, unless I'm missing something (entirely possible/probable).

Attachments

• Foul plug.JPG
    Foul plug.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 150
Puzzling update...

*Changed lower intake from the custom short runner that was on it, to the unmodified stock lower.
*Changed MAP sensor to the 2 bar from the 3 bar that was on there, also because I'm not going past 15 psi at the moment.
*Re-gapped my TR6 plugs to .030
*Installed a brand new MSD DIS-4 Plus.
*Tested and passed all 8 injectors (#60 Siemens) but changed them to different spots, just in case there is something funky with the injector the guy who tested them didn't pick up on (sure hope he would have being it cost $200 to have them all flowed, cleaned and new filters etc...)

Starting the car with the above noted changes, as well as others noted previously, the idle cells in the VE table needed drastic adjustment just to get it to idle, and I made no other parameter changes other than with regards to the 2 bar map sensor. Had to change the idle cells from where they were at 58 to 38 (a full 20 points lower off from what they were). This screams at me that I had a major vac/boost leak in the modified short runner intake, causing me to compensate by dumping more gas with the higher VE cell settings? Maybe re-sealing all the upper and lower fixed the problem..? I was just shocked to have to adjust so dramatically. There's no way the simple modifications otherwise would have caused me to have to change the idle settings so much. It's like I changed the injectors???

Anyhow, I'll have to get it on the road and adjust all the related VE cells now, because it's all going to be all over the map now. I honestly don't know what to think with having to lower the VE that far. Any explanation other than above???

Thanks,

Spud

Problem solved...

Plugs are burning normal again without the strange rich condition in cylinder 1 and partially 2. The last changes I made were as follows;

*Remove KB BAS
*Installed new MSD DIS-4 Plus
*replaced plugs with a new set of TR6
*swapped my 2 bar MAP for the 3 bar I was running.
*cleaned and dried all injector connections and injector harness
*Put stock long runner intake back in, and took out the custom short runner.

The end result is all 8 plugs burned identically and all were great. My guess is that the intake I had on there was causing me grief. I'm also thinking that because of the fact I had to take about 25% out of the VE cells to get it to run, that it was leak somewhere?

Anyhow, all is good now and so I'll get her on the dyno soon.

Spud-out

Back