You can type here any text you want

FAST crank trigger question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

vr6t

I'm hoping someone can help. I'm trying to get my FAST to run on a VW engine. I talked to FAST about 6 months ago about using my stock crank trigger, and they said it should be ok, but I'd have to reset the wheel to 50 degrees (factory was 80). I dropped the crank out of the block, and moved the wheel so it triggered at 50 degrees. I'm trying to get the car running now, and I can't get the trigger to fire. I spoke with a friend, and he mentioned that I have a hall effect sensor, and that it might not work with the FAST? It will be incredibly disappointing if I pulled the crank, moved the wheel and possibly unbalanced my bottom end, only to find out the sensor may not work !!!! Does anyone know if a hall effect sensor will work?

That is what the Buicks have on them for a crank sensor.

So yes it should work.

I dont know, and someone more knowledgable will have to pipe in here, if the box you have is set up to read the sensor. That might be the problem.

Craig will be on here in the morning, he can answer your question.

You may want to post up here the serial number on the ECM just for the sake of reference.

serial number,
the serial number for my FAST is 02668. I'm not sure what the system was set up for. I ordered it for a VW vr6 engine, but when it got here it had the injector harness for a mustang 5.0L, I fixed the harness myself, and can only assume that the ecu was set up for a mustang.

Hey James,

How many wires go to the crank sensor and how many teeth are on the actual reluctor?

Are you still using some sort of stock ignition module or is it some type of aftermarket piece?

VR6's use coil near plug with 6 coils right? I know I looked at it but the memory is kinda fuzzy:D

Tony

I don't know how many teeth are on the wheel. It's inside the oil pan. All I know is that there are teeth all the way around, and 1 spot about 1" long that has no teeth (I assume this is were it triggers). I am using an msd 6a box. My vr6 doesn't have any coil packs. I've been thinking about upgrading it to coil packs eventually, but it is using a distributor right now.
I'll tell you this FAST engine management is going to be the death of me. It has been more headache then doing the vr6 swap, and building the turbo kit. I don't even know where to begin. I tried to call FAST today, but of course like the other 3 times I've tried to call, the "FAST guy" is out of the office. Too bad last time the "FAST guy" called me back a week after I called him, he knew less then I did. I should have went with another engine management, but I'm stuck now. Any suggestions on what I can do? like I said the guy finally called me back last time, and I told him I had a vw vr6 and it had a factory crank trigger, and I said it fires at 80 degrees. He didn't know anything about the crank trigger except that "we always set them to 50 degrees". so I actually removed my crank from the engine, drilled new mounted holes and rotated the trigger wheel 30 degrees just for this engine management, now I find out it might be the wrong type of trigger !!!
This is an even fire V6, I just need the engine management to recognize the signal. I don't know what type of signal this system wants? Nolan thinks a hall effect sensor won't work, but I have a feeling I could pick up an SDS sensor, and magnets (which is a hall effect sensor), and it will work. I don't know what type of sensor my factory vr6 has, but it has no magnets, just a bunch of teeth, with a flat spot 1" wide with no teeth, and a magnetic sensor. what type of sensor is that?. If a hall effect SDS style sensor and 3 magnets will work, I'll grab one today, and make a mount for it, but I need to know if it will work. The other thing is did they setup my ecu for a hall effect sensor? I ordered this engine management for the VR6, I gave them injector spacing and everything, when the kit came, it had a mustang fuel injector harness, yes 8 cylinders, and it said ford on it. I said what is this? JB's said "hmmm, we gave them the same sheet you gave us", I said we'll get me the right harness. 2 weeks later the new harness arrives, I go to pick it up, and guess what??? its another mustang harness, exactly the same as the original one !!!! I have no idea what my ecu is set up for because they didn't listen to anything I said when I ordered it. I assume its set up for a 5.0L, so whatever type of crank trigger the 5.0L's use is probably what mine is set up to read. What do you think I should do?

tony,
I found out that I have a 60 tooth wheel, and my sensor has 3 wires. It is vw, so Barry at SDS (very helpful guy) figures its a 60 tooth bosch wheel. 60-2 he said.

Back