You can type here any text you want

FAST & Emissions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WHITE T

Baer Brake Systems
Hey Guys,

Quick and probably "stupid" questions but do you guys see any problems with passing emissions with FAST? I am planning to run a fuel management system stand alone (probably FAST) and was wondering if I would run into problems passing the IM240 emission test with a stock motor and FAST. I was thinking of using a triggered output for the EGR.

Thanks!
Rick Elam

I really don't have any idea if you would pass or not but a couple of thoughts. I can't imagine you can't get the tuneup to run as clean as a stock system just that it may take a few trips to the testing station before you pass. I doubt the first time through your tuneup will be close enough unless you have a 4 or 5 gas analyzer to dial into. I also don't know what they might catch on a visual. Would that be a concern? I can't beleive they would be sharp enough to notice a difference in harness wiring.

Given your concerns and the 'stock' nature of the engine, why use a FAST system over a factory unit. Not knowing the make of the engine there are mass air systems from the factory or speed density units that can be used. There are also piggy-back harnesses for Ford and GM units. These would surely do for your stated purposes and allow future modifications.

Too directly answer your question, yes, the FAST can be used and pass the 'snif' portion of the IM240 but NOX can be difficult. NOX has more to do with your year model car. Many states read NOX but don't have a standard as of yet.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses! I guess I should have been more "detailed" on what I am planning to do! The car is a 1987 Turbo Buick that will have a twin turbo stage II in it. I am also building a stock motor that I can use for the test. I have completly gutted the wiring, and plan to run a stand alone computer for the S2, and was hopeing I could get it to work on the other stock motor to pass.

Visual is not really a concern here, they are not very strict just needs to pass the numbers! :)

Thanks!
Rick

mine passed no problem, with a 224 roller cam and 550 lift, can't beat that, a few tricks here and there, so i say it can be done!, with the stock ecm, i don't think it would have passed.

Back