You can type here any text you want

FAST help for Mustang with a T76

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

94TurboGT

i just got my car running on sunday, had to adjust the iac way up to deal with the cam (at least thats what i think anyway) and it was idling nice and smooth at 750-800 rpms, but the timing was too advanced, its at like 20-25 spout out. i was going to change it down to 10* spout out, but it started to bubble water out the radiaitor because i had the cap off, so i shut it off, then noticed i had to leave soon for work.

heres some specific problems:

1)when i got home after work i warmed it up and the car wont run with the spout out, otherwise it seemed to be idling pretty well at 750-800 rpms. i was trying to set the timing at 10 degrees. i didnt change anything since i went to work. need some help here.

2)car is very hard to keep running right after it starts. it jumps around and wants to die right after startup, i have to pump the gas to keep it going, after about 5-10 times keeping the revs up, it will idle fine on its own.

3)after it was warmed up tonight, it died when i pulled the spout. then after awhile, it didnt want to run AT ALL after startup, no matter what i did. i messed with the afterstart enrichment, and various other things, but nothing seemed to help much at all. it was at 180 degrees.

combo:
94 mustang GT
337ci V8
AFR 205
unknown "turbo" cam kinda "big"
T76 single turbo kit
86# injectors

A ford spout connector is the equivalent of pulling

The vac hose off of a dual point distributor {i knew you would like the reference}. When the connector is pulled the ecm can't control timing advance and the timing reverts to the base setting.

ECM and vac??

The timing vacuum is not controlled by the FAST ecm. Have you downloaded the help pages?? If not, I'd suggest you do that B4 you go further. It's 29 pages of good info, and explains in detail what I'm saying below. Assuming the ign is mag pickup, you have to set the dist. at 50* advanced. [Put the engine at 50* BTDC, then set the dist at #1 cyl, and lock the hold down. This is assuming you won't be using more than 40* actual advance in the timing map. This gives you a 10* margin.
You then set the timing at various MAP values to what you want the engine to operate at.

DO NOT try to use vac to control timing......
Dual point dist???

It was a joke for you chuck

The dual point distributor reference was for you chuck. You wanted to know what spout was.:D

A TFI ignition system won't work if you set the reference angle at 50 degrees. That's only for racing-type ignitions. You'll want to keep the reference angle around 10 degrees.

Not being a Ford guy, clear me up a bit. Disconnecting the spout wire is much like disconnecting the bypass wire on an HEI system, is this a correct statement?

One way you can find your way around this problem is to connect everything except the injector harness, and check the timing during cranking. The timing light should match the ECU. I'd set the crank reference angle in C-Com to 10 degrees, and twist the distributor until the timing light shows whatever value you should be firing at according to the spark table. Once you get that knocked out of the way I think your startup will be much better.

Craig, you got "snookered" just like I did!!!
Black plague posted:
"The dual point distributor reference was for you chuck. You wanted to know what spout was." This IS NOT funny!!:D :D :D :p

Originally posted by Craig Smith
Not being a Ford guy, clear me up a bit. Disconnecting the spout wire is much like disconnecting the bypass wire on an HEI system, is this a correct statement?

the spout connector when removed takes the ecu out of the equation, it wont have any advance. thats how you set the "base" timing.

Back