You can type here any text you want

FAST or GEN7 DFI

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

pwrhws

settin' it off
I usually do not do much posting in this forum but I have a few questions for you guys that seem to haunt the area.

I am in the process of building a single turbo mustang (I know not a turbo buick, but related none the less). I am shooting for horsepower in the 800 range.

I want to goto a stand alone system, It is time I learn how to use such a beast, which is going to be a better choice.

I know that the FAST setup is currently more common, but is it a better choice. The Gen7 could go right on the buick if I decided to, with no modes other than changing the program.

I was hoping that there was someone out there that was familar with both and can help me make the right choice.

Thanks,

right now, gen 7 dfi has the advantage over the fast.

fast is a great program and lance is awsome to deal with, but for the moment dfi has more bang for the buck.

Brian

Go with the Gen 7. I bought the FAST and quite simply IMO it sucks.

FAST vs Gen 7 DFI

All the faster turbo buicks and turbo mustangs I see are using the FAST system and it seems like there are more guys that are able to give tech support with the FAST system (Cal Hartline, Harry Hruska of PTE, Lance Ward and Craig Smith from FAST, etc.) cause the only guy that seems to know the ins and outs of the gen 7.0 DFI is Job Spetter of Turbo People and from what I've heard the gen 7 still has some bugs that haven't been worked out (WB O2 sensor comes to mind).... I think the FAST system is the better choice because there is better tech support which you will definately need with either system.... BTW Lonnie, can you please give us some reasons on why you think the FAST sucks because IMO there are just too many guys on this forum that are using it with great results (Geno, Art, Cal, Jack Cotton, Neal, Roger Davis, Race Jace, Patrick Rubio, Ted A., and the list goes on and on....) :confused:

I am curious too, I have seen many with good results.

I was curious to see if there were the same with the gen7.

I could be wrong, but from what I've seen on this forum it appears that there isn't many guys (if any) using the gen 7 DFI with a turbo buick or turbo mustang (I have seen some using the old gen 6 DFI).... BTW, if you check out the Ford Products @ PTE's website www.precisionte.com they have several single turbo mustangs that are using the FAST/SpeedPro system and there is one that is owned by Chad Klodner that is a mid 9 second street driven car on pump gas that has a single PT88 turbo and it uses a SpeedPro system which seems to be what you are shooting for:cool:

Re: FAST vs Gen 7 DFI

Originally posted by 86brick
BTW Lonnie, can you please give us some reasons on why you think the FAST sucks because IMO there are just too many guys on this forum that are using it with great results (Geno, Art, Cal, Jack Cotton, Neal, Roger Davis, Race Jace, Patrick Rubio, Ted A., and the list goes on and on....) :confused:

Hummmm where do I start. I did not say FAST does not work BTW. One thing I liked about the Gen7 that I helped play with was it would almost tune it self and there was no need for phone calls for tech help. With the fast the cars tune just seems to change for no reason. The drivabilty just plain stinks. I have a hesatation that I just cant seem to make go away. I do not like fighting the O2 sensor at all. You add fuel but the sensor pulls it out yada yada. I have never had these problems with the old Gen6. To be very fair it is new to me and I am still in the learning curve. This time next year I may have a different attitude. You know how it is when you are learning something new. I think the Old Gen 6 is easy others think it is extremely hard.

I have used the FAST system for over a year now. I have been using and playing with fuel injection since the days when the Pro Flo system came out, that is what I started out with. The only problem I have with the FAST system is in my opinion the extremely poor support materials that come with this system. To get a better feel for what I needed to do to get the tune up close I took the time to download the Holley support materials for their 950 system which shares many similar tuning parameters. For the money that these systems cost I really feel a thorough tuning workbook should be included. The support materials that came with the Pro Flo system back in 93-94 are still far superior to what you get with the FAST system.

Now I know someone is going to pipe in and say there are help screens and there are unofficial support text and a book that was included with the system (in the olden days). I have all that, it still is not enough for the common person to be able to properly tune up and diagnose this system. My analogy would be the materials offered out there to tune the FAST system are like an owners manual you get with a new car. Enough info to get you famiar with the surroundings of the car and make it go down the road, in most cases. But if you are given the owners manual of a car that you have never seen with technology that is totally new to you and told that it does not run and here is the owners manual with all the information about the car you should need now go fix it, that would be a different story. What you need is a shop manual. And that is what is needed for a lot of us with the FAST system something more along the lines of a shop manual.

The point on a lack of in-depth documentation is a very valid one. I won't deny that. One thing we have been fighting here since day one is that it's simply been difficult to find the time to create type of documentation that we think you should have. Our staff here is not exactly huge. Excuses aside, providing a more intuitive, more comprehensive set of instructions is definitely something we want and need to do, and come hell or high water it's going to get started very soon.

Craig, I'm glad to hear that! :)

I also find myself reading manuals from Electromotive and Accel to help with tuning.

Originally posted by Craig Smith
The point on a lack of in-depth documentation is a very valid one. I won't deny that. One thing we have been fighting here since day one is that it's simply been difficult to find the time to create type of documentation that we think you should have. Our staff here is not exactly huge. Excuses aside, providing a more intuitive, more comprehensive set of instructions is definitely something we want and need to do, and come hell or high water it's going to get started very soon.

I tried to do it for you Craig. I corresponded with Lance on it, sent him a prelim and never heard back. I know you guys are busy, but I'm only trying to lend a hand. I never hear what was good, bad, right, wrong, what needed more detail or anything. Hell, wasnt even looking to get paid....although it would be nice...maybe complete it for one of them new "do-it-all" boxes for my TR.

In case you never saw what I have done, http://www.turbojim.com:231/jim/ccom/

You need IE 5 or higher as it uses layers.

Damn, Jim, that looks pretty good! I didn't know you'd done that. Leave it up, anyway...I've bookmarked it. :)

Originally posted by TurboJim
I tried to do it for you Craig. I corresponded with Lance on it, sent him a prelim and never heard back. I know you guys are busy, but I'm only trying to lend a hand. I never hear what was good, bad, right, wrong, what needed more detail or anything. Hell, wasnt even looking to get paid....although it would be nice...maybe complete it for one of them new "do-it-all" boxes for my TR.

In case you never saw what I have done, http://www.turbojim.com:231/jim/ccom/

You need IE 5 or higher as it uses layers.

Jim, that's beautiful work! I also feel your pain. As a long time Technical Writer, and Technical Trainer, I've offered up my help more than once on various projects. Only to never hear anything back. Most of my work is hard copy materials. Unfortunately, I don't have your expertise at putting it into an online format :(

stand alone systems

EPEC-extreme performance engine control
the only system that runs off a mass air flow sensor.
This system should be up and running this winter on a local friends TR

Back