You can type here any text you want

FAST XFI Boost Controller

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jdpolzin

I've tried searching for the info but cant find sh*t!:banghead: Can someone send a link or tell me what I need to do to get this solenoid wired into my car and how to run my hoses to my external gate? Im using 2.010 with a 50mm TurboSmart gate and it's only a 3# pound spring right now. Might go with a little larger spring but unsure if that's a good idea or not? Thanks ! ----Jeremy

Did you look in the XFI help file? It is pretty detailed on what you need to do.
Do you have a solenoid and the 0-100 psi sensor yet?
AG

I just have the actual solenoid. I talked with a Cal last year and he didn't mention the sensor but just the solenoid. Is the sensor necessary? Is the help file in the XFI C-Com program?

The sensor is needed for closed loop analog 8 control if that is the strategy you want to use. It's not needed for closed loop map or open loop mode. All this is in the help file in the XFI software.
AG

Last edited:
What is your goal with the boost controller? Are you going to use it at the track, or just street driving? Do you want a boost vs. time curve, boost vs. mph or boost vs. tps./rpm. There are lots of options there and will dictate how you wire it.

Do you have an external wastegate like a precision, or a stock sytle actuator with a gate in the downpipe?

You don't have to have the wastegate sensor, but it takes away some headache. Without it, you'll have to go through some trial and error to figure out what duty cycle gives what boost. With it, you still have some of that, but you have a chart to start with. I assume you're using engine boost to feed solenoid, so that's another variable that can change things. Most of us use CO2, and that's a more consistent feed pressure to work with.

The car is primarily a street car. But it should put out some good HP numbers. I'm using a 50mm TurboSmart External gate. I may just start with the standard solenoid and see how that does for me. Right now, my main concern is to get the car on a dyno and tuned. Then do more fine tuning later down the road. I wont be using CO2. Just going with standard engine boost to feed the controller.

I would say hook the solenoid up to the EGR wire and use that table to get boost vs. mph. But the newest firmware (2.05) no longer supports egr and I think that table is gone. You'll have to use the boost vs. tps (the standard boost control table)

So, for solenoid wiring, you want one wire to a switched 12V source. The other wire gets switched to ground via pwm on ECU pin C8. In the Boost Parameters screen you want to set it for either open loop or closed loop map. I would try open loop first. The closed loop map may give more consistent numbers, but it may also be slower to build boost. The Min Map KPA is the minimum map that you want the boost controller to become active. I would set that around 90 kpa so the solenoid is doing nothing while cruising. Leave the positive and negative slew rates as is. PID should be inactive when your using open loop and for closed loop map I would leave them alone until start getting to understand what the boost controller is doing.

When you start tuning it, set the whole boost control table to one duty cycle value all the way across. If your using closed loop map there is a table that will tell you duty cycle equates to what boost psi it will target. Start with the duty cycle at 20% all the way across. Go make a pull while datalogging duty cycle and boost. Then bump it up to 30% and another pull and slowly work your way up to the boost level you want. You should be able to see what duty cycle will give what boost. Since your using manifold pressure as a supply, the duty cycle won't always give you a specific boost because your supply is constantly changing.

Here are the links to help section page and plumbing schematic. Open them up on the computer that has your c-com software.
file:///C:/CComWP%20XFI%202.0/HELP/index.htm
You'll want to plumb your solenoid controlled line to the top side of the wastegate with a straight boost line to the bottom of the diagram also.
file:///C:/CComWP%20XFI%202.0/HELP/Schematics/FAST4-189%20-%20XFI%20Boost%20Plumbing.pdf

The new 2.05 software has something they call quick boost. If I understand it right, it commands 100% duty cycle in either of the closed loop modes until you reach your target. This may be really nice when your using manifold pressure as a supply.

Last edited:
Can this be wired into the factory boost solenoid plug? Im thinking I read somewhere that I could and use that as my input. Right now, Im using the EGR for the fuel and oil psi sending units. Thank u for the time and help!

I guess you're using a caspers adapter harness. If so, I have no idea how they are wired.

Yes, im using the caspers harness for the sending units. Ill look into the factory boost plug.

The Caspers harness sends the signals or to the factory boost solenoid plug. This allows it to work with the factory setup. If you want to use an aftermarket setup, all you do is get a two pin weatherpak connector and plug into that. Very simple wiring.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I would say hook the solenoid up to the EGR wire and use that table to get boost vs. mph. But the newest firmware (2.05) no longer supports egr and I think that table is gone. You'll have to use the boost vs. tps (the standard boost control table)

So, for solenoid wiring, you want one wire to a switched 12V source. The other wire gets switched to ground via pwm on ECU pin C8. In the Boost Parameters screen you want to set it for either open loop or closed loop map. I would try open loop first. The closed loop map may give more consistent numbers, but it may also be slower to build boost. The Min Map KPA is the minimum map that you want the boost controller to become active. I would set that around 90 kpa so the solenoid is doing nothing while cruising. Leave the positive and negative slew rates as is. PID should be inactive when your using open loop and for closed loop map I would leave them alone until start getting to understand what the boost controller is doing.

When you start tuning it, set the whole boost control table to one duty cycle value all the way across. If your using closed loop map there is a table that will tell you duty cycle equates to what boost psi it will target. Start with the duty cycle at 20% all the way across. Go make a pull while datalogging duty cycle and boost. Then bump it up to 30% and another pull and slowly work your way up to the boost level you want. You should be able to see what duty cycle will give what boost. Since your using manifold pressure as a supply, the duty cycle won't always give you a specific boost because your supply is constantly changing.

Here are the links to help section page and plumbing schematic. Open them up on the computer that has your c-com software.
file:///C:/CComWP%20XFI%202.0/HELP/index.htm
You'll want to plumb your solenoid controlled line to the top side of the wastegate with a straight boost line to the bottom of the diagram also.
file:///C:/CComWP%20XFI%202.0/HELP/Schematics/FAST4-189%20-%20XFI%20Boost%20Plumbing.pdf

The new 2.05 software has something they call quick boost. If I understand it right, it commands 100% duty cycle in either of the closed loop modes until you reach your target. This may be really nice when your using manifold pressure as a supply.

I am sad they took the egr table out, but I with traction control to work properly to control boost, I will have to use the boost output from the xfi. Good post Mike.

Back