Fastest mph with stock heads?

B

BlackBuickBeast

Hey guys, tell me the first mph and et that you have with stock heads, cam, intake. Please list the turbo, injector and convertor size.

I'm getting ready to pull the transmission and I'm wondering if I should spend the money on a 9x11 convertor. I'm on a tight budget, and still have the stock turbo. But when that goes I'll upgrade it.
I'm just wondering if it's worth getting a higher stall and turbo to fit it without spending money on heads.
The limit seams to be around 116 to 118mph. I only go to the track two or three times a year so et's don't really bother me. And I won't be able to get heads or a cam for a couple years when I get out of college. I'm thinking stock d5 with a te44, should I get anything bigger?

TTA, what intercooler are you running? Great MPH...

My '87 Limited (see my signature for build) has gone 116.14.

The seasoned Buick guys out there will remember all of the controversy back in September 1996. Tim Stockwell's full-weight TR went 10.76 @ 123.43, with stock engine/trans/converter/rear, TA61, 009's, Quad Air XP Pumps, THDP, Jackson 17-row intercooler, and 32 PSI boost.

Good luck.

I had a V4 intercooler running 24psi.

I went 120.04mph with the stock intercooler at 21psi. (long story)

Melissa went 11.5s @ 118 in street trim (just added race gas)
44,blue tops, V-4 , stock converter :D

My best mph has been 118.31 with a TA49, Bluetops, stock intercooler with a big neck and stock converter. Boost was 23 psi.

The only limit is how much you can turn up the boost before detonation starts breaking things.

If you motor runs good and is good condition, I'd postpone heads until the rest of your combo will support them. If your motor needs rebuilding, worked heads aren't a big "extra" expense and are worth upgrading to.

I ran 116 mph with the stock IC, TE45a, 50's, AC n/l, and THDP at 21 psi. After I upgraded to the V4 and raised the boost to 23 psi it felt a good bit faster, prolly right around 120 mph. Unfortunately I never got it to the track before that motor expired on me. I believe the general consensus is that to go over 120 mph in the 1/4 mile with a stock motor takes lots and lots of boost and meticulous tuning.

:D Best times so far are 10.95 @ 125 MPH. Stock heads, 1.77 intakes, 1.55 exhaust, stock block with girdle, CAS front mount, #55 inj, TA 61 turbo, Precision chip, TH400 w/brake, Ford 9" w/ 3:50, 28X10 tire.

A good set of heads is invaluable. Run good gas, be conservative with the boost, and the car will begin performing like you want. No "one item" is going to make your car a screamer. Speed is proportional to $$$$$. Read all of the "menus" for whatever your E.T. goal is. Follow it, don't take short cuts, and you might not make "milk shakes":( in the oil pan. Good luck.

John Schmidt
BPG #1003
V6 Director

Hey John,

what does the Opel weigh with driver? Trying to see how I stack up as it difficult to compare to TR. Mine weighs in at about 2,750 w/driver.

Best ET 10.86 @ 124.39. Best MPH 10.92 @ 126.09. Stock longblock, PTE-51 w/THDP @ 24#, MSD50s, M/E-16, FMIC, C4 3.07 IRS. 10.92 was on 255 BFG DRs and the 10.86 was on 26x8.5x16 ET Drags.

Hate to tell you guys, but.....

Orlando Granda has you all beat with a 133mph with STOCK unported iron heads!!! If you'd like you can check out Orlando's combo at www.harpersracing.com . The Engine was a complete stock short block with 38,000 miles at the time and the only change was a Comp Cam from Weber 212/206 Hyd. The best pass at the time was as follows: 20-lb launch, 6000 RPM shift, 36lbs of boost.:eek:
1.401 60' Short
6.38 @107mph in the 1/8th
10.03 @133mph with a leaning problem!!!

TE64 turbo with .082 housing from Precision, 009 injectors with a 55lb 7th injector, Red Armstrong 106 low timing chip, and a 4000 Stall Art Carr torque converter. 29.5 M/T 10.5 Slicks and a 3.23 with Mini Spool. Also, from what I've been told the intercooler was stock with a cool box!

A stock short block could still have ported heads and I'm sure he does.

A stock long block would indicate unported heads.

Any of the above guys who are running 116 and above mph with stock heads have a different cam or put your cars on a serious diet?? I'm currently tuning my champion heads, te-44, stock converter car, but my car weighs 3700 pounds with me in it. It has went 11.8@115, running out of gear with a very loose te-44 and nasty cold side header leak, any suggestions on what i can do to get more mph, besides a taller tire and rebuilding the turbo and fixing the exhaust leaks(which i have)??

Shoebox

The heads on Orlando's GN might have been ported a little, but I seriously doubt they were ported to the extent of other guys on this board (Champion heads) cause Orlando likes doing things on a Budget if you know what I mean. It's still a LOT faster than just about any guys I've seen on here running stock blocks with the stock iron heads whether they are ported or not. His car is pretty darn amazing to me, though I know it would take a LOT of work and know how to duplicate the times he's run and I'm not brave enough to run over 30lbs of boost with a stock block:eek:

133 MPH? They're ported. Trust me. Stock valves, maybe, but someone's been at them with the grinder.

Anybody want to wager how many passes before Orlando's bottom end self-destructs? I'm guessing 10. It may not physically blow apart, but the block will be junk when it's disassembled for new head gaskets.

Very impressive though, no doubt.

By the way, that should answer the question of how fast a set of 009's can go...

I can assure you that Orlando has a LOT more than 10 passes on the motor and it's still going strong in his new heavier GN. If you don't believe me I suggest you talk to BLACK6PACK (Brad) or blackshoebox (Alex) cause they live in the same area as Orlando and know him very well. BTW, he has blown head gaskets before (from what Alex has told me he gets about 10 to 15 passes out of a set of head gaskets if they are torqued down correctly). His block and motor is doing just fine though and Alex told me with the heavier GN all he wants is 10.20's. BTW, Red Armstrong knows Orlando pretty well so you can also speak to Red about Orlando's GN if you'd like:)

Originally posted by blackshoebox
Any of the above guys who are running 116 and above mph with stock heads have a different cam or put your cars on a serious diet?? I'm currently tuning my champion heads, te-44, stock converter car, but my car weighs 3700 pounds with me in it. It has went 11.8@115, running out of gear with a very loose te-44 and nasty cold side header leak, any suggestions on what i can do to get more mph, besides a taller tire and rebuilding the turbo and fixing the exhaust leaks(which i have)??

Shoebox

I have ran 117mph with a very loose convertor and 26" tires. Once I get that tightend up, go to 28's and tweak a couple other things I am hoping to see 120.

I think you answered your own question in regards to more mph. Exhaust leaks, fix your turbo, taller tire. A 9" l/u convertor may help as well.

Orlando has been running the same motor with stock pistons, rods, crank etc for over 4 years at above 30 psi. I'd say it has several hundred passes on it. In the 4 years that he has had the motor, the only thing done to the short block was fresh main bearings about 2 years ago. Thats it as far as I know.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Ryan yet

Ryan Guy's been 135 mph with stock iron heads, stock-size valves, and his own CNC porting program. Of course, he's got a lot else going on, too...

Originally posted by blackshoebox

Shoebox

I ran 116 mph with a bone stock motor and IC on 26" tires at 21 psi. After I switched to the V4, raised the boost to 23, and got 28" tires, the mph had to have been right around 120mph. Of course the TE45a does pull like a freight train over 20 psi......