You can type here any text you want

Fastest street car at local track

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fuzzyGN

This past weekend the local track decided to have a summer fun day. There was a car show, burnout contest and some grudge racing. The local Mudstain guys were doing the usual talking after installing new parts so I decided to go out and give some attitude adjustments. I got there an hour before the racing was supposed to start and they were already going. Great. A friend of mine showed up with his ZO6 and said there wasn't a single car in the 13's yet. Lame crowd I guess. Could have been the weather too. IT WAS HOT! I let the car cool down and went looking for the (attitude) adjustee and he stated he just ran a 14.20 at 100 (slicks, blower, ported heads, cam,....). Oooh ahh. Then he said, I am done because I broke something. Nice. I told the Vette guy to get his car. I went out in total street trim (regular BFG radials, 3 month old pump gas, stock turbo, intercooler, inj. and 16psi boost) and ran a 14.05 spinning well through second gear. The Vette got me with his 13.68. Good close race. Did I mention it was HOT! Looked at the EGT and it was low, but the T-link showed knock. Damn, no more boost with that gas and this temperature. Oh well, make the best of it. Tried a couple more street tire passes and concluded it was a waste of time. While I was putting the slicks on they announced that there was a trophy for fastest domestic street car (non-trailered). Vette ran up to the tower and presented a 13.50 time slip. As I was pulling into the lanes I heard what I had to beat. Launched well and seemed to pull really hard. Left an LS1 on the bottle in my dust. Got the slip and it was a 13.50. Huh, wonder what Vette had for a number. As it turns out he had a 13.507 to my 13.503! Yea, in "the money". Tower announcer kind of chuckled and then proceeded to heckle Vette telling him he got beat by .004 seconds! Better get out there. He tried 2 more times and failed due to hot lapping the car. We decided to let the cars cool and be the last race of the day and go for the gold. Winner takes all. The announcer played it up huge and kept a bunch of people there until the end. The time comes and I am fairly confident but a little nervous. He cut a slightly better light but I zinged past him and was able to hold him off .... barely. If the track would have been 100 yards longer I think I would have lost. GREAT race. The only people in the crowd cheering for me was the T-shirt stand guys and my wife. Guess they don't like to see a 16 yo car beat a new Vette. We got out and shook hands. First class guy. I ran up to the tower and collected my trophy. Fastest domestic street car. Neat. We were the only two cars in the 13's all day. It was hot.

Good deal. What altitude were you running at? I didn't think NM had any tracks left.

The track is out in the middle of the desert (literly) at an actual altitude of about 4000 feet. Judging by the times I ran the corrected was closer to 10,000 feet. No kidding. At that same track with the same street tires I have been able to run a 13.65 no sweat. This track is near Deming but the one I usually race at is in El Paso Tx. About the same altitude and about the same distance from home. The best track in NM is in Roswell but is a 3.5 hour drive from home along a mountainous twisty road. Have not been to that one yet as they only run at night.

Sounds like you had fun, but unless you like changing head gaskets dont run on three month old gas. AT LEAST put a couple gallons of xylene in that thing. You would have beaten the vette by car lengths

That is the exact reason instrumentation is invaluable. If I didn't have the combo of instruments I did it could have been ugly. I can usually run much more boost but started out conservative due to the 100 degree temps. As it turns out it was about right. Even though the EGT's were low, I got a couple degrees retard at the top of each gear. Couldn't really figure out why until I realized how old the fuel was. I don't drive the car much when it is that hot. Belive me it wasn't on purpose the gas was that old. I could tell it was down on power by my MPH and the Vette was pulling like I was sitting still once I was in third gear. Lucky I had just enough to hold him off. Yes, had a good time especially since I was able to drive the car home.

Hot...crappy tracks..

I feel for you, I'm from Odessa, Texas and its all desert crap, the track there is a joke. The airport altitude is 3580 feet I think the track is 200 feet lower or so. But yeah most cars run like crap out there. :( But since I moved down to houston, and went to Baytown... :D Ohhh it is so nice! Sea level, righ ton the coast and a bad ass track! :( But I was making mor epower there, and my nittos wouldn't hold it, so my 60' went up to a whopping 2.4 and the car ran a 13.00@114 MPH! Soo... :cool: The power was there, but the tires wouldn't hold it. My best at Penwell was a 12.68@104.89 MPH with a 2.2 60' on pump gas with methanol/water injection and 20 PSI boost. I got the time at Baytown on 20 PSI, pump gas, and rubbing alky. ;) I need a set of slicks, and a high boost launch and let the mid to high 11s rip. :eek:

COOL, I just heard that the city council voted to reopen the track in Albuquerque. I guess nobody was too interested in building a house on a windy a$$ mesa near an offroad park, trash transfer station, outdoor concert place, right next to the miltary base, and directly under the airports approach for landing planes. Can't beat the veiw though, all the wrecking yards just below. Huh, weird nobody snatched that property up.:D

Back