favorite gasket sealants ?

tom h

I don't usually apply gasket sealants, but when I know it will be major PITA to replace or reseal gasket, I have in the past used the Permatex soft, non-hardening sealant to fill in imperfections & for extra insurance (can never remember if it's Permatex #1 or #2)!.

I'm referring to "ordinary", non-head gasket type applications (water, oil, etc).

The Permatex in squeeze tube is messy and a hassle. Seems Permatex has literally dozens of overlapping product lines, many of them seem similar.

Do you guys have favorite, EASIER to apply, NON-HARDENING gasket sealants you like to use ?

Gasket sealerz

I use the product called "HYLOMAR'. It's a "blu goo" type sealer used on most surfaces, including, in liquid form, copper head gaskets.
It come in a tube and will NOT harden up, even under hi heat and is mostly oil/lube proof.
when it comes time to disassemble, it allows removal without tearing the gaskets and making for alot of scrapper time.

HTH,:cool:

I use, and hate, the Permatex Aircraft sealer...that stuff is as hard to get off of you, or anything else, as POR15-it comes in a plastic bottle. That, and clear silicone, are my two favorites.

I use the copper hi temp for headers.

The Hylomar HPF™ looks like much better stuff than the old #2 Permatex (apparently easier to get off hands, higher temp rating, etc) , based on the www.Permatex.com specs.

However, the HPF spec sheet does not specifically recommend HPF for sealing threaded NPT fittings (but neither do they recommend against it.

Any reason why HPF wouldn't work OK on threaded fittings?
(The #2 sealant has thick body and has always done a good job sealing threads, for me.)

Interesting, Permatex also offers an aerosol spray Hylomar, and while it appears to be a different formulation based on the MSDS sheets, apparently has similar physical properties.

if u guys read his post he is not looking for a headgasket sealent he is looking for a normal rtv my choice is ultra copper for myself and ultra black for customers cars customers dont like the orange look the place near me sells it in self feeding tubes it has a trigger and it comes out under presure in the container one can can do like 4 cars or so i think its 10 oz in a can

george

Finally.Some guys who've actually endorsed Hylomar[yup,they were reading real good!].I use and love the stuff.Tried Permatex at work,and I hate it.Smelly,lousy garbage.Ultra Copper and Ultra Black?Good stuff,but I'll take the Hylomar any day!It was originally formulated for Rolls Royce.You can bet they want a sealant that won't break down.Can you imagine the hissy fits the Gucci loafer set would throw if their precious Corniches left even one spot of oil in the driveway?I shudder to think."Oh Muffy,your Rolly left a small doo doo spot on my well groomed cement driveway!Oh James,he's done a naughty hasn't he?I'll run him over to the garage in the morning.Bad Rolly,no num nums for you today.:eek::D

I will third the motion for Hylomar. Only I prefer it in the aerosol can for gasket sealing. Be careful with RTV's. RTV is actually a gasket maker not a gasket sealer. If using RTV only use a smear coat.

still an open question -- would the Hylomar (in the tube) work OK for sealing threaded NPT fittings ??

Thread sealer?/

I've not used HYlomar to seal threads. I always use Permatex teflon thd sealer that comes in a tube.
I have also used the ARP thread sealer on the studs and headbolts in my engines.
The up side to that stuff is it's a sealer and a thread lube too. ARP, as most fastener mfgrs do, specify the torque using a specific lube. I'd think on a head BOLT, you'd want a product to do both at the same time.. Kinda hard to lube and seal at the same time using something like PT#2 and oil.:eek: :eek:
I would NOT take the chance w/ Hylomar on threads, unless it's specifically suggested by the mfgr.

Just my $.02.