Fender clearance (roll or cut)

I did mine with a rubber mallet WITH the mouldings still on the car. Looks fine and never had any paint chipping because of that. I think what's important is not to be too "agressive" in trying to bend everything just one pass. Slowly bend the lip (and moulding) A LITTLE AT A TIME, doing long sections. Once you did one "pass", start again being a little more agressive, bending a little more and re-do it again until you're satisfied with the result. After several "passes" you should be fine.
Good luck!

Claude. :cool:

Ya Im leaning this way it will be easier to do all in one shot and not doing the molding separate :)
We shall see Im all tied up right now and have no time to mess with it. As soon as I can I will though :)
Thanks guys for all the helpful info and tips!

im thinking the easyes way to do it is with a small die grinder and just take the lip down were the tire needs to go up all the way im my head that seems like it will give more clearance

I did it as a combo method. Since someday these cars might be worth a TON of $$$, I always try to make it restorable. We made a cut in the wheel lip about every 4 inches or so from under the car toward the outside. This made nice little sections that could easily be hammered up and out of the way, BUT the lip is still there and can later be pulled back down and welded up to be stock when someone offers you 125K for your car.

Rolling, beating with a mallet will crack the paint. You may not realize that the metal is getting stretched and also at the inside bend contracted. I have had good success by cutting to the spot welds on the rear 1/4 panels. Using a cut off wheel a tape line and patience. The wheel trim removed. After cutting a good rust inhibiting primer applied by brush and black paint to protect.
Centering the body on the frame is also a good start if not already done as we all know these are mass produced cars.

Please explain how you center a body on the frame. I asked about doing this brcause like everyone else, one tire sticks out more than the other and I was told it was really tough to do. I assumed it was just a matter of loosening all the body mount rubber bushings and shifting the body. Maybe it's harder than it appears?

Easy to talk about. An easy way to see how the body is sitting on the frame is take your hand and in between the body and frame at the Rocker panels on both sides and right behind the rear wheel house. A tape measure if they feel different , i mean your trying to get a 1/4 inch clearance ?Loosening the body mounts, all 12 of them 4or 5 turns may require a bit of muscle, a prybar and thin wood is all it takes.