Those running 295/55-15 on 15x10 - Please Jump In

SpeedRacerX

OK, after going through the entire 1,000 post wheel and tire thread, searching, narrowing AND taking my own measurements from what I have today, I am left with 1 final question.

I want to run the MT 295/55-15 on a 15x10 Centerline Rev rim. Today, I have the MT 255/60-15 on stock GN rim.

I took all measurements on both sides. I have 5/8" extra room on the Inside, 5/8" extra room to the sharp lip and about 1 5/8" from top of current 27" tire to the fender lip (available height before it would bang up).

I see several guys running the MT 295/55-15 on 15x10 rim using a 4.5" backspace. Most say it fits with no modifications at all and one person said they needed to just roll the sharp lip. Sounds good so far.

Compared to where my current tire sits on my car, the 295/55-15 on 15x10 w/4.5" backspace will add more clearance to the inside while adding 1.8" to the outside. I used the Size Comparer on rimsntires to determine. For those who have this, I can't even comprehend how this doesn't rub the fender lip!

Anyway, here's my question finally.....

Why are you guys running 4.5" backspace when a 5" backspace would pull the tire position inward about .3" and push outward "only" 1.3"??? Wouldn't that be better to pull some of the extra width toward the frame? Worse case, if it rubs slightly, I could always add a thin spacer, right?

It seems 4.5" backspace is the preferred average backspace yet it seems 5" might give me more options.

I also have the GNX fender flares to install and if I wanted to go nuts, I could add a 1" or so thick wheel adapter to push that tire all the way out to fill out the GNX fender flare but I'm sure the tire will bang up into the flare on hard bumps. I think buying the GNX flares might have been a mistake. They might be useless unless I start cutting out the body behind them which I will NEVER do.

Thank you for the insight! I know I'm a PITA but I eventually take action after lots of planning :)

I am one of the ones running 295/55s Micky ETs on 15x10 4.5" backspace (gbody reproduction aluminum wheels). I run aluminum drums and no fender roll. I do keep a little air in the air bags. I am pretty confident a 5" backspace would rub. Especially with steel drums or an axle that wasn't perfectly centered.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I am one of the ones running 295/55s Micky ETs on 15x10 4.5" backspace (gbody reproduction aluminum wheels). I run aluminum drums and no fender roll. I do keep a little air in the air bags. I am pretty confident a 5" backspace would rub. Especially with steel drums or an axle that wasn't perfectly centered.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Good info. I do have aluminum drums also. I'm hoping my HRparts rear sway helps to stop excessive lean. I did think of bags maybe if necessary but I do have new springs and shocks also, bunch of braces, etc. Based on my measurements, I think the rear of my car is off by about 1/8th inch, maybe 1/4.

Thanks for this input. Your experience is more accurate than my wishful measurements.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk