You can type here any text you want

few head/header questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gergwheel

93 firebird/GN hybrid
I have a 1993 firebird with a buick motor in it. It has been running good for about 2 years now, and im looking to get some ported heads for it. Now comes the tricky part. I am thinking about going with the TTA heads/headers that way i can run a normal downpipe. Right now i am running stock buick heads and my downpipe is currently running underneath the k-member. so does anyone make headers for the TTA heads? also where can i get some ported TTA heads from? thanks in advance

Nobody make aftermarket TTA headers, you can either buy a stock set from someone who might have some for sale or you can have someone make you a custom set which I think Grumpy said it ended up costing him about $1000. For the heads no one sells preported heads, you would have to send out some stock heads and have them ported. Welcome to the TTA world, where nothing is made to fit your car and everything is a pain in the ass.

Now if you already have Buick heads on it you should be able to run a normal downpipe if you delete the AC I believe. Contact UR50SLO@aol.com his name is Scott and tell him Jared sent you and you were wondering about running a downpipe over the K-member on a third gen with Buick heads. He had a 3rd gen Camaro and has done a couple swaps into third gen and should be able to point you in the right direction.

Well the 1993's is actually a 4th gen, so it is a little different. I think if i just re-make my headers then i should be able to fit a custom downpipe through there, i was just curious if going with the tta stuff would be easier/cheaper. thanks for the info though.

As far as heads go, unless you have serious $$$$ to fork out on exuberant port work and development, go with the Champion CNC port job.

Cost you about $1200 and then you should be good to go.

This is assuming you do the TTA head swapout.

Hmmm if I port and flow some GN heads while I'm at the School of Automotive Machinists, think I could make a few bucks selling them here?
lol

later
Jeremy

Well the 1993's is actually a 4th gen, so it is a little different. I think if i just re-make my headers then i should be able to fit a custom downpipe through there, i was just curious if going with the tta stuff would be easier/cheaper. thanks for the info though.

haha oops didn't pay attention to the year. you might try working with beating on the pipe to get it to clear things or if you want it to look pretty you might even be able to go with an oval pipe to get it to fit through. Also poly mounts and a tubular k-member would help too with the clearance problems. I know on the 98+ cars they've been fitting 3" downpipes over the k-member.

I notice that you're in Ohio, try contacting Stenod Performance they do a lot of custom fabrication piping for turbo cars. I dunno where you are in Ohio but they're in Detroit.

I have a friend that does custom fab work for a living so that isn't really a problem im just trying to do it easy and cheap, and it sounds like the TTA route is very expensive. so i will just port the heads i have now and maybe get a tublar k-member and work something out that way.

Don't forget that if you put TTA heads on a Buick shortblock you'll have a higher compression ratio than normal due to the combo of the TTA heads and Buick pistons. Shouldn't make a huge deal, just maybe a few psi less you'll be able to run, but it should be a bit more responsive and torquier (yes, I know that's not a word,...:tongue: )

Attachments

• nos ta heads bare.jpg
    nos ta heads bare.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 119
GN heads on TTA

Years ago, I heard that Bill Sikes put on Buick M&A heads on a TTA, and he was the 1st to get into the 9's. Supposedly all he had to do was take off the AC.

A few months ago I saw something somewhere - hafta dig - about some aftermarket AC that got rid of the GM big bulge coming out of the firewall. I wonder if we could put that on our TTA's and then be able to use GN heads ?Then we could go for GN1 Champion aluminums or even the 14 bolt new TA Al heads. Then all we would have to worry about would be the Headers & DP. Maybe a custom make ? Hopefully the DP deal that Robert is putting together goes thru.

Back