Filing a claim with the postal service....

Pats-GN

I had an item damaged by the postal service recently. I went down to the local office and picked up the forms and they tell me what I need. Question is, before I do this, do they let you keep the item that was damaged or do you turn it over to them before you get your $$$? Sad part is, i'll only get about half of what its worth, because it wasnt insured for enough.

thanks
pat

They keep the item.

I went through the same deal ~6 months ago. Bought a vid camera via the net and it didnt work when it arrived. The box was crushed on one end from what looked like an impact from being dropped or something heavy was sat on top of it.

Anyway, I filled out the forms, the post master at the local PO looked the package and contents over then sent the whole thing to the claim dept in GA. It took ~6 weeks to get a check in the mail.

FYI. Dont p!ss off the person at the post office that you deal with as he/she fills out part of the form and puts down wheather he/she recommends that the claim be paid. The claims center does the final inspection but if they are undecided and the postal employee has recommended not to pay the claim then youre prolly gonna get nothing. Just FYI..

HTH

ps. ALWAYS insure an item or have whoever is shipping an item insure it for double what its worth if you can afford it. That way 99.9% of the time youre not out any money if the PO loses/damages it.