You can type here any text you want

Finally installed my Thrasher chip

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Taking the valve covers off is not "opening" an engine. An "unopened" engine still has original heads, cam, crank, pistons, etc.
Thats what everyone refers to when they have a "stock" engine.

Originally posted by ross87t
My Thrasher always caused a boost spike. About 3psi higher than I had the boost set to. Spool was good, but if I wanted to run 18psi, I'd have to live with the 21psi spike.
I didn't care for that.
Ross
I had the same problem in my 86 GN.I put about 2 miles on my Thrasher chip and took it out.Not all these cars react the same to a certain chip.My car just didn't like the Thrasher,others swear by them.I would try a different chip like a J.C. or a J.L. or a J.T. to see how your car reacts to it.Also get an adjustable w.g. actuater.I don't like to see over 16 or 17psi w/pumpgas.:eek:

scott: you bring up a good point that I've been wondering about for a while. The stock ecm has no knowledge of boost level... electronic boost controllers and chips that run higher boost obviously pulse the solenoid more to get more boost, but how do they control this accurately with no feedback? my BstC mantains rock solid boost control.... how?

My car didn't like the Thrasher either....not a bad product, my car is just one of the one's that don't like Thrashers. I'm having great success with a Duttweiler chip right now, car runs like a scalded cat! Good luck, and I hope everything works out for the better with your car!:D

Actually I have a turbo friend who has 3 turbo cars.
He mentioned having a whole mess of chips that
I could Try & Buy if I liked one of them.

So for now 1st thing is pull the T-chip out until my
new ignition parts come in and other adjustments
can be made.

Originally posted by jastrckl
scott: you bring up a good point that I've been wondering about for a while. The stock ecm has no knowledge of boost level... electronic boost controllers and chips that run higher boost obviously pulse the solenoid more to get more boost, but how do they control this accurately with no feedback?
They don't...it just so happens that with a properly combined turbo system when you pulse the PWM a set amount, the boost stays the same. It may, however, be a higher or lower actual boost number depending on the other airflow related components on your engine.

With minimal alterations to a stock engine, you can assume that the stock wastegate control curve (or "ramp") will give you the stock boost level control. But take the same car and add a 218/218, ported heads, a PT70, a front mount, etc...and there is no way the ECM's chip will still be giving you the stock boost levels.;)

A simple little trick in the Thrasher chip is that it controls boost "in first gear" to a different level than in second gear. How does it know the difference in gears??? It doesn't.

A turbo Regal with the required changes for a Thrasher will probably shift into second gear at X mph - Tada! No actual input for gear change, but an obvious event occurs that signals to the chip that you are now in second. As such, people that have disconnected their VSS or the VSS simply doesn't work, will get the ~"21psi" up until the third gear indicator comes on...and if that doesn't work...that car has more problems than necessary for someone to be eating on it! ;)

Back