First car....first fraud. Can I do anything?

FirePWR

I just bought a T-Type from Maine. Basically, paint and body described as "B" and engine and mechanics as perfect with fresh rebuild, fresh head job, TE-60, etc., 76k original miles. Good buy in my book. Appraised at 8-10k and got for much less. Got it Monday with an exhaust that rusted off on the way home, and a rough idle and weak power that I thought might just be Lunati cam and a bad tune. Started smoking Tuesday and took it to KDK Performance in Orlando. Just found out today that my "perfect mechanically" T-Type was running on 5 cylinders with 150 150 150 on one side and 30 170 173 on the other side. Bent pushrod on number 1, took the lifter all the way off. Looking into it, you can see the antifreeze puddling and is definately coming in from somewhere. Turbo is gone too he thinks, and the heads that were "just done by Champion" are missing the mark they usually CNC into it. He also noted that the pushrod that was bent was a completely different number than all the other ones. The only reason for that is if that pushrod was bent before (thats coming from Kevin King at KDK Perf.) He said his gut feeling, looking at it, was that it was doctored up to get it sold.
My question is this....is there anything I can possibly do? I'm a college kid that just dumped alot of savings into this loan, and the engine needs a rebuild which is about 4,000. I am really lost and I kinda have that "f*cked up beyond the line for turning back" feeling in my gut.

I thought ther was a law about being able to return a car within 30 days?:confused: Might want to look into it.

I emailed the seller on Tuesday just to ask where the recipets were and who did the motor work, and also to ask about the white smoking. He called and left a message, but did not write back. I called him and got no answer. I wrote another email tonight with Kevin King's finding and still nothing

As far as I can tell with the Lemon law, it is only for new cars. I am talking to the family lawyer tomorrow. I don't know how it goes for buying a car in a different state either.

You may only have recourse in civil court, in his state!

Louie

Melb. Fl

I HATE hearing these stories, because they're usually involving high school kids that got in over their head, or, as in your case, a struggling college student. It's just a sad situation, that so many people are willing to take advantage of folks like this!

I wish we could better emphasize the needs for thoroughly having these cars checked by someone who knows them well, before ever purchasing. Unfortunately, young buyers purchasing their first TR are usually so anxious and excited, they overlook the simple, yet important things. Anyway, I'm not dogging you, but rather, expressing my own frustration for your situation.

I think your only recourse is going to be some sort of civil/small claims court. The lemon law does not apply here, because it's a used vehicle, and you agreed to buy the car as is, and there's no warranty or guarantee of anything. It's his word against yours, but, in court you'd probably find sympathy through the judge.

You may be able to have your family attorney compose a heavy-toned legal letter, using verbage that might prompt him to take some financial responsibility for fear of being sued, and having to hire his own attorney. I'd try that route first.

Sadly enough though, you don't have a whole lot of ground to stand on, unless you can quasi-bluff him, or, unless he's actually a decent enough person to own up to his deception.

I feel for ya' man! I bought my first TR in my last year of college, but fortunately I had done the necessary research, and bought a solid car.

silly question but, did you drive the car before you bought it? Doctored, or not, if the motor and turbo was THAT F'D up, I don't care what you do to it. It is gonna run like ****! Did you buy the car from a dealer, or private owner? But mostly, You can't doctor up a car that is that badly damaged! You had to have noticed that car wasn't runnin right.

No, I didnt. Bought it out of state. I got them to get an appraisal and it was by a certified appraiser and all. I kinda just thought there was no way he could just lie straight up about it. He told the appraiser the same thing (I am not sure what kind of appraisal it was). I know I screwed up. I just figured if they sent me emails saying its one thing, and sent something else, thats prove enough for any court, but know I don't even know where to begin

Originally posted by FirePWR
No, I didnt. Bought it out of state. I got them to get an appraisal and it was by a certified appraiser and all. I kinda just thought there was no way he could just lie straight up about it. He told the appraiser the same thing (I am not sure what kind of appraisal it was). I know I screwed up. I just figured if they sent me emails saying its one thing, and sent something else, thats prove enough for any court, but know I don't even know where to begin

What kind of deal did you enter into with the appraiser? Did you sign an agreement? While typically they try to absolve themselves of all liability (i.e., a total waste of money) you may be able to prove he was negligent in his assessment of the car.

I really hate to hear things like this, too. Buying your first car should be one of the best experiences of your life. I got burned on my first "real" car (bought with a loan), too, but not as bad. It was a 1988 Mustang GT that the owner claimed was never been hit. In addition to WAY overpaying for it, I found later that EVERY body panel had filler in it. The fenders were even the wrong color (off of another car) underneath the blue paint. It had been wrecked so many times it wasn't funny. The longer I had it the more imperfections I found. It was even missing a 5.0 emblem when I bought it. I was too excited about the car to even notice. I resented every f'n payment I made on that car.

Anyhow, it doesn't do you much good but your experience should be a lesson to anyone buying TRs. They're old and often driven hard. Add a little tweaking by people who don't know better and you could wind up with a car with serious engine damage. With 10,000 people on this board (okay, there's really some fraction of that) you can probably find someone near the seller who would be willing to take a look at a car for you.

Good luck with it. Your family's lawyer should be able to tell you what options you have.

Jim

Unfortunately, it is always a buyer beware deal when buying a used car. I am sure that the car was sold as is so you are probably pretty much out of luck. It would probably cost you more for a lawyer with no guarantee of getting any money back than it would to just fix the car. Sorry to hear about your misfortune and hope this doesn't turn you off on these great cars.

Hopefully, you didn't buy it from a board member.

You might want to contact the Attorney General's Office, Consumer Protection Division in Maine for some assistance or direction.

From your description of the problem, it sounds like there is no engine knock. You just have a dead cylinder. This might not be that expensive to fix and at least get you by until a proper repair can be done. What did KDK say was the reason for the dead cylinder outside of finding the bent pushrod? I don't understand what you mean by "took the lifter all the way off". How much of the engine is currently disassembled?

The concensus is that this must all be the selers fault? Its possible part or even none was. Devils advocate part.....

I ve never seen a number on a pushrod.
By saying "it took the lifter all the way off" doesn t really make sence.
"you can see antifreeze puddling"? I d guess thats from working on it....cause you can not see antifreeze seperate in a running engine.....it will mix with the oil and turn into a chocalate milk shake......so that statement doesn t really say anything either.

If it had a bent pushrod it would have been making an incredible noise......enough that no one would keep the engine running....but yet it drove from maine to orlando FL? Why buy a car from maine anyway? TR's are fairly plentiful...esspecially in FL it seems. why spend extra money to go to maine and buy acar you can t drive first. ( mind you I ve done this many times, but at the same timeI recognize the dangers) (I ve done it for the best deal, but I do have the means to fix almost anything too)

Being from vegas I d also gamble that virtual no younger (under 30) person could drive a new car some 1500+ miles upon first getting it with out absolutely hammering it a few times on the way. I did, when I bought my first GN (320 miles away) I ran it hard with in miles of leaving.....then about 8 times a few miles from home.......racing my wife in her lt1 formula that we had to pick up at the air port.....and a couple times on the hiway too...

Just seems like things don t add up and no one will probably ever no the whole story.....

I am sorry your having problems with the car either way. They are good cars but can definately be huge head achs at times.

Don't feel too bad, I had the same thing happen to me. Except, I was told that the car was in A-1 shape and everything thing that was bad were the important things, fuel pump, injectors, ect....

I'll buy it off of you, what color is it?

Well, I didnt drive it down from Maine. I had it shipped. I drove it from the terminal to my house, then from my house to KDK performance. As far as punching it and getting on it, no, i really didnt because the only gauge it has is a boost gauge and I didnt have a scanmaster. Kinda worried about the tune of it and all, also about detonation, so I didnt get into it hard. I knew it was running rough, thats why i took it to KDK but I didnt really get worried about it untill it started white smoking the night before I was gonna take it, just from letting it idle. I drove it 30 miles to them and they are the ones that have told me over the phone about the pushrod. This is all coming from Kevin King. As far as seeing the antifreeze puddle and taking the lifter off, I was just trying to repeat what Kevin was saying and I am sure Ive screwed it up. I am on my way to see him right now to get an up close view and to sit down with him about the car, see where we can go. In his experience, he said, it looks like it will need a rebuild to get it back in shape. He felt like if it has already bent one rod, and just did the same thing again, theres a bigger problem. The numbers on the rod he was talking about I assume are part numbers, stock numbers. Still no response to my email to the seller. I don't want to call and get into a phone conversation as I can atleast show transcripts of emails, show exactly what is being said. Yes I did buy it off a Board Member. Initally, i won it on Ebay but the bank was dragging its feet and needing a bunch of paperwork, so I couldnt come up with the money fast enough. I told them about www. TurboBuick.com so they could try and sell it on here to someone else cause i felt bad.
As far as not buying a car in Fl, well, I just didnt find what I was looking for. The only reason I went into this one in Maine is because it was worth much more than what I paid, but that was in described condition. I was trying to get my value out of my savings. I guess in the end i did, but with a lesson not a car

I used to live in some of the populated areas of Maine (S**THOLE!) and have always scouted TRs, no matter if I had the money to buy one at the time or not. Could you tell me exactly where you bought it and from whom?........as far as the rust thing goes.....I had all new crap put in Las Vegas a couple of years back and drove up to Maine to visit a friend...within 2 weeks I was finding surface rust on EVERYTHING. Everybody knows that cars aren't worth a good g**damn in that state. Furthermore, you really shouldn't buy even a ham sandwich from a Mainer, those flannels up there are 'wicked' slippery!:mad: "Maine,the jerkoff state"

Originally posted by DCEPTCN
I used to live in some of the populated areas of Maine (S**THOLE!) and have always scouted TRs, no matter if I had the money to buy one at the time or not. Could you tell me exactly where you bought it and from whom?........as far as the rust thing goes.....I had all new crap put in Las Vegas a couple of years back and drove up to Maine to visit a friend...within 2 weeks I was finding surface rust on EVERYTHING. Everybody knows that cars aren't worth a good g**damn in that state. Furthermore, you really shouldn't buy even a ham sandwich from a Mainer, those flannels up there are 'wicked' slippery!:mad: "Maine,the jerkoff state"

From one of those "jerkoffs"....F U schmuck! :rolleyes:

There are several New Englanders on this forum...maybe one of them will chime in and offer to help if they happen to know this guy. Good luck but please reread the post by 1320. There may not be much wrong with your car and you may be falling victim to a garage trying to get an engine rebuild out of a bent pushrod. Your compression on the other cylinders seems fine and he is right...puddled antifreeze is from disassembly I would bet. Either way good luck.

Originally posted by DCEPTCN
Hmmm, my GNs aren't rusty up here in Maine.Maybe because they've always been garaged and never see bad weather. My 86GN has only been rained on twice in 17 years.You sound bitter,someone must of kicked your ass out of Maine. :p