You can type here any text you want

First time @ Irwindale

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SPOOLFOOL2

Fiberglass bumper filler dude. (949) 433-1257
Staff member
Every one seamed to be getting good runs, till the VW bug droped all his gear oil down the middle of the right lane from end to end. The track was down for the good part of what seemed like an hour, while they "tryed" to clean the goo up.

I had know idea how quick the car would go with the new combo. So, I figured I'd start off slow, I pulled 2 deg of timeing out of the WOT of my Turbo Tweak chip. Boost was set at 22 lbs. I didn't think that there was much of a chance of running too fast (7.28). On my first run I did a foot brake launch with less than 1 lbs boost, then rolled in to the gas. For some reason, my Direct Scan didn't record this run.

First run: left lane

60' 1.842
330' 4.930
1/8 7.49
MPH 96.03

The next run was a foot brake launch at 1 lbs boost and then stuff the pedal a bit quicker. Direct Scan showed the launch RPMs at 4000 ( I figured that I flashed the 3200 converter to 4k as I let the brake go).DS also showed the O2s starting in the 870s and going through the traps right at 800. The car hazed the tires for what felt like at least 100 feet.

Second run: right(oily) lane

60' 1.724
330' 4.822
1/8 7.379
MPH 96.48

While picking up my time slip, the guy said,"This thing goes pritty good". I repley," Yea, it does OK". He then grins and says,"It better not do any better or your out of here".

For my third (and last) run, I turned the boost DOWN one full turn on the WG. I did a trans brake launch at about 5 lbs of boost and stuffed the pedal. HOLLY CR@P! It felt like I got hit in the rear by a Mac truck, while being shot out of a canon. My neck is still hurting (three days later) while I'm typeing this. Next time I'll keep my head on the head rest. DS showed a 4200 launch with O2s from 880s to 710s.

Third run: left lane

60' 1.615
330 4.667
1/8 7.121
MPH 96.38

After this run, the nice man took my wrist band and mumbled something about a rollbar.

All runs were on MT DRs, 91 OCT with Razors meth, Going through the traps at 5400 RPMs. Timeing was 22/21.

Questions to the gurus:

Is this normal that my 9" Art Carr 3200 non lu conv, stalls at 4200? (Not that I'm complaining).

If this thing does 5400 RPMs @ the 1/8th, what will this put me at in the 1/4 mi? (I'm planing on running at Fontana on the 26th).

What does a 7.21 @ 96= in the 1/4 mi? (I remember hearing that Nordys car ran to fast for this track too, so I must be pritty close to what he runs:biggrin: ).

How much faster would it have gone with 2deg more and triming some fuel?

I don't plan on getting a roll bar, so I may never know what this thing will do.
Heck, I'm sceeerd to even open my 100 oct alky chip.

Happy spooling
Mike Barnard

Nice times Mike,

7.21@96 1/8th = 11.25@119 1/4 mile

7.12@96 1/8th = 11.11@121 1/4 mile

you have two times for the 3rd run 7.12 & 7.21 so I listed both :)

Every one seamed to be getting good runs, till the VW bug droped all his gear oil down the middle of the right lane from end to end. The track was down for the good part of what seemed like an hour, while they "tryed" to clean the goo up.

I had know idea how quick the car would go with the new combo. So, I figured I'd start off slow, I pulled 2 deg of timeing out of the WOT of my Turbo Tweak chip. Boost was set at 22 lbs. I didn't think that there was much of a chance of running too fast (7.28). On my first run I did a foot brake launch with less than 1 lbs boost, then rolled in to the gas. For some reason, my Direct Scan didn't record this run.

First run: left lane

60' 1.842
330' 4.930
1/8 7.49
MPH 96.03

The next run was a foot brake launch at 1 lbs boost and then stuff the pedal a bit quicker. Direct Scan showed the launch RPMs at 4000 ( I figured that I flashed the 3200 converter to 4k as I let the brake go).DS also showed the O2s starting in the 870s and going through the traps right at 800. The car hazed the tires for what felt like at least 100 feet.

Second run: right(oily) lane

60' 1.724
330' 4.822
1/8 7.379
MPH 96.48

While picking up my time slip, the guy said,"This thing goes pritty good". I repley," Yea, it does OK". He then grins and says,"It better not do any better or your out of here".

For my third (and last) run, I turned the boost DOWN one full turn on the WG. I did a trans brake launch at about 5 lbs of boost and stuffed the pedal. HOLLY CR@P! It felt like I got hit in the rear by a Mac truck, while being shot out of a canon. My neck is still hurting (three days later) while I'm typeing this. Next time I'll keep my head on the head rest. DS showed a 4200 launch with O2s from 880s to 710s.

Third run: left lane

60' 1.615
330 4.667
1/8 7.121
MPH 96.38

After this run, the nice man took my wrist band and mumbled something about a rollbar.

All runs were on MT DRs, 91 OCT with Razors meth, Going through the traps at 5400 RPMs. Timeing was 22/21.

Questions to the gurus:

Is this normal that my 9" Art Carr 3200 non lu conv, stalls at 4200? (Not that I'm complaining).

If this thing does 5400 RPMs @ the 1/8th, what will this put me at in the 1/4 mi? (I'm planing on running at Fontana on the 26th).

What does a 7.21 @ 96= in the 1/4 mi? (I remember hearing that Nordys car ran to fast for this track too, so I must be pritty close to what he runs:biggrin: ).

How much faster would it have gone with 2deg more and triming some fuel?

I don't plan on getting a roll bar, so I may never know what this thing will do.
Heck, I'm sceeerd to even open my 100 oct alky chip.

Happy spooling
Mike Barnard

Nice, Mike. And you are right, never cage nor roll bar a nice street sled.

Nice Runs dude, your last run of 7.1 would put you right about 11.09 in the 1/4 given that your trannie works perfect through the traps you should get right about 120mph on the top. :) and if you get some slickies and get that sixty down to mid 1.5's your looking at a high 10sec run in the 1/4 :eek: your convertor seems a bit loose you may think about re-stalling that thing to around 3,200 A high stall will kill your MPH on top end . BTW Mike ran 6.04 at Irwindale with a 1.35 sixty foot and 116mph, you need a lot more work done to your car to get that low of numbers. but your car is one nasty street car. Congrats..

Great progress mike! Sounds like your converter is looser than you think. If its flashing that high its probably a 3500. The more power you make the higher it will flash.I would try some sticker tires next & keep playing with the tune. Find out what the car likes & don't make any drastic changes so you don't start going over center with the combo. Monitor knock closely & keep a fresh 02 sensor & plugs in it. Learn to read the plugs also. Don't rely on memory, record everything so you can always return to what worked best if you get lost.

Congrats Mike. Sounds like you got your car running really well. Keep it up, and keep us informed on your progress. Run that thing any faster then you will be in the 10's.

congrats mike... nice times for a really nice looking GN.. i'm still freakin talking about your paint job and how it looks :)

Thanks guys for the complements and tips. One correction: Third pass was a 7.21 (not 7.12). Tire PSI was 18. Theres one thing that is bugging me. I've got a 28" tire with a 373 gear. My Direct Scan (and speedo) show 10 MPH slower than my time slip at the top end. Is there a speedo cable adapter or something so my data is accurate?

I had the brick on the dyno a few weeks ago. It did 454 rwhp and 458 tq.
This was the same set up that I took to the track on Thurs.

The only thing bigger than the pain in my neck, is the smile on my face:D ...

Thanks again
Mike

Nice Runs dude, your last run of 7.1 would put you right about 11.09 in the 1/4 given that your trannie works perfect through the traps you should get right about 120mph on the top. :) and if you get some slickies and get that sixty down to mid 1.5's your looking at a high 10sec run in the 1/4 :eek: your convertor seems a bit loose you may think about re-stalling that thing to around 3,200 A high stall will kill your MPH on top end . BTW Mike ran 6.04 at Irwindale with a 1.35 sixty foot and 116mph, you need a lot more work done to your car to get that low of numbers. but your car is one nasty street car. Congrats..

When did Harold/Kevin/knife Guy I mean Ralph get so smart? :confused:

Thanks guys for the complements and tips. One correction: Third pass was a 7.21 (not 7.12). Tire PSI was 18. Theres one thing that is bugging me. I've got a 28" tire with a 373 gear. My Direct Scan (and speedo) show 10 MPH slower than my time slip at the top end. Is there a speedo cable adapter or something so my data is accurate?

Thanks again
Mike

get some slicks before that track rental Mike.. you would be amazed how they would hook :cool: ..

Thanks again
Mike
The speedo has a speed sensor & the gear in in the trans is calibrated for 3.42 stock gears the computer reads this in error because of the 3.73's the trap speed is whats correct, So your speedo is 10 mph off

Lou

Yes, I understand why it's like this. But, what can (or should) I do about it to get things accurate?

Thanks Mike

Back