fitting 6.5"s in CSII door panels

PaulBZ65

likes g-bodies
I know this has been brought up before but I just got a set of CSII lower door panels for cheap that I will be installing in my 87' Monte LS. The drivers panel itself is in need of replacement anyways with minor damage so I decided to cut it up a bit to fit a 6.5" for testing purposes. I'm just going to get another good set of gray lowers to cut to fit the pods since apparently thats all they did from the factory anyway!

I got a set of door brackets from a Geo Metro(hey maybe they are good for something!) that house 6.5"s and I got a Pioneer 6.5" with one in the junkyard ;). I was wondering if anyone has tried to do something similar with OEM brackets and a 6.5" speaker for the doors. I trimmed the door panel and the pod fits over it just fine and the bracket should be pretty flat with the door itself. I took a few pics but will not have them ready for a little while yet, still some film left on my camera.

Would an upgrade to 6.5"s over 5.25"s really be worth it? I'll probably need to trim my doors anyways to fit 5.25"s so if I have to a bit more for 6.5"s it doesn't bother me, not like it really hurts the car or is visible anyways, as long as it clears everything else.