Flat Tappet Cams

87buickracer

Just curious to know who's having success with these cams and what is the average life of these cams.I know this is a big topic with todays oil,but for the guys who run flat tappets,what are some of your procedures for break in and not wiping lobes?Anyone running cryo treated flat tappets and lifters?I will probably build a stock motor in the near future and will be running a flat tappet cam.

Lots of debate on the boards aboout flat vs roller. I went roller, but there are many, many cars running stock or upgraded flat tappets without any problems. May cars at 150k+ miles with the stock cam...

With the change in oil formulations, I like the peace of mind of a roller. No dramatic break in periods, no worrying about #3E lifter not spinning correctly, and so on...

Break-in for a flat tappet- prime the engine, dump in EOS and Rotella, run the engine at 2500-3500 rpm for about 20 minutes, shut down, change the oil, then go find an altar to pray at:D

I run a 210-205 flat tappet from the buick club. Been running it for 30,000 miles now and no problems whatsoever. When I change oil I always pour in a bottle of GM EOS. Maybe it doesn't do much but I also used it for the new cam break-in and everything has been going good. My old car had a cam from the buick club and that cam lasted a long time too. 80,000 miles when I sold it and to my knowledge the guy I sold it too hasnt done anything to it yet.

On the other hand Ive heard of some cars eating the cam at startup and they swap out another cam and does it again. Ive always had good luck with flat tappets providing you break it in carefully.