flowmaster mufflers

I'll probably get in trouble with the tech section mods for this, but:
Just as "Trix are for kids and ***** are for chicks, Flowmasters are for Fords"
There, it's that simple.

if flowmasters r for fords, what do u put on a chevy?

if flowmasters r for fords, what do u put on a chevy?
----------------------------
Actually, I think that a lot of Chevy peeps run Flowmasters also, and I have heard some Chevies with Flowmasters on them, and I think that they sound good, but I really don't like them on a turbo Buick, and I own a turbo Buick now and I have owned 4 turbo Buicks previous to this one. Hooker cat-backs & Hooker Aerochamber muffs sound and work great on these cars. Imho though. Ford peeps do seem to like Flowmasters. The louder the better.

----------------------------
Actually, I think that a lot of Chevy peeps run Flowmasters also, and I have heard some Chevies with Flowmasters on them, and I think that they sound good, but I really don't like them on a turbo Buick, and I own a turbo Buick now and I have owned 4 turbo Buicks previous to this one. Hooker cat-backs & Hooker Aerochamber muffs sound and work great on these cars. Imho though. Ford peeps do seem to like Flowmasters. The louder the better.

i dont like ford exhaust because most of them sound like their drowning in water! but thats just me!

the actual muffler case that Flowmaster uses in the GN kits is the very same one they use in all the crossflow Camaro/Firebird/Nova kits out there, but with 2.225 adapters welded to the 3" inlets instead of the 2.5" adapters that are welded on for the Camaro kits. the 80 series is essentially a pair of 40 sereis mufflers welded end to end, and a 40 series is capable of supporting a butt load of power.
when it comes to airflow for a given power level, the same amount of air is gonna go into and out of a car whether you have 6 or 8 cylinders with a single carb, dual carbs, efi, an 8-71 blower, a paxton blower, or a turbo or two hanging on the motor, so if a muffler is good for 500hp on a single carb application, it's good for 500hp on a turbo application. especially if it's mounted farther back from the engine.
i had the F body crossflow setup on my 71 Nova with close to 400hp, and it sounded wicked and the motor was snappy and pulled hard to 7000 rpm's, so i don't think there was too much restriction going on there.
i have the Flowmaster GN kit on my 84 T, and it sounds like a stocker with a little bit of a "twang" when it gets up in the rpm's on boost. but i don't think it's a restriction at my power level (not much above stock). in fact, it's actually a bit snappier and quicker according to my butt dyno with the Flowmaster setup on it than it was when i got it with no muffler back there.
if i ever do step up and make some serious power, i'll probably get a 2.5" or 3" exhaust setup made and use the same muffler, since i've already got it and it's fun when people look under the car and think i don't have a muffler at all...

and the reason those 5.0 based Fords sound so weird is becasue of their firing order. an older 302 based Ford sound much meaner with a free flowing exhaust- almost Chevy like.
but an Xpipe on a Mustang makes it sound pretty sweet- a friend of mine has an 89 Stang with a mild 302 in it with long tube headers, X pipe, and Flowmaster cat back kit (with no cats) that sounds pretty scary when he gets up into the higher rpm ranges. the 5 speed and 4.10 posi makes for a fun little car.
if only a 5 speed would work worth a crap in a turbo Buick...

the actual muffler case that Flowmaster uses in the GN kits is the very same one they use in all the crossflow Camaro/Firebird/Nova kits out there, but with 2.225 adapters welded to the 3" inlets instead of the 2.5" adapters that are welded on for the Camaro kits. the 80 series is essentially a pair of 40 sereis mufflers welded end to end, and a 40 series is capable of supporting a butt load of power.
when it comes to airflow for a given power level, the same amount of air is gonna go into and out of a car whether you have 6 or 8 cylinders with a single carb, dual carbs, efi, an 8-71 blower, a paxton blower, or a turbo or two hanging on the motor, so if a muffler is good for 500hp on a single carb application, it's good for 500hp on a turbo application. especially if it's mounted farther back from the engine.
i had the F body crossflow setup on my 71 Nova with close to 400hp, and it sounded wicked and the motor was snappy and pulled hard to 7000 rpm's, so i don't think there was too much restriction going on there.
i have the Flowmaster GN kit on my 84 T, and it sounds like a stocker with a little bit of a "twang" when it gets up in the rpm's on boost. but i don't think it's a restriction at my power level (not much above stock). in fact, it's actually a bit snappier and quicker according to my butt dyno with the Flowmaster setup on it than it was when i got it with no muffler back there.
if i ever do step up and make some serious power, i'll probably get a 2.5" or 3" exhaust setup made and use the same muffler, since i've already got it and it's fun when people look under the car and think i don't have a muffler at all...

Well, probably, on all the applications you mentioned, even supercharged engines. But I believe you may have forgotten the affect of post turbine housing backpressure on the efficiency of turbo applications.
And as everyone knows (flowmaster tells us this) FM's are designed with inherent backpressure, which in most N/A applications is a plus to some extent.

where does Flowmaster say that they engineer in some backpressure?
backpressure is ALWAYS bad, but it's also possible to over scavenge the exhaust, and cause the exhaust to actually pull the air/fuel mixture out of the combustion chamber during valve overlap. on turbo applications it might not be possible to over scavenge, due to the turbo being between the exhaust system between the muffler and combustion chamber, thus making them seem to "like" bigger exhaust systems and mufflers, when in fact all it's doing is not overscavenging the exhaust like in a naturally aspirated application.

In my opinion, Flowmasters are good for making a low performance engine sound good, or for use on an engine that's not going to see very much high rpm.

I've had two experiences with Flowmaster mufflers in which I made a switch to Dynomax Ultra flows. I immediately noticed a difference in power in the upper rpms.

One of them was on my Chevelle which has a huge 284/296 duration cam and 4.10 gears to make it work in the 396 big block V8. The other was my old S-10 that had a mild 350 in it.

The Ultraflow mufflers I used are a straight thru design....you can look thru one end and see out the other. Flowmasters use that baffled design which IMO hinders exhaust flow.

The Turbo T I just purchased has a pair of Flowmasters on it which come off of a Y pipe from where the catlytic converter sits. I plan on replacing the Flowmasters in the future with a Dynomax Ultraflow.

Here's my $0.06:

I have trashy (trashed by others) dual Hooker 2.5" Super Comps on my GN & like the sound & drone is not too bad for me.

I have dual ?? flowmasters on my 49 Ford w/ 86 Stang 5.0L HO w/ headers & I'm not imperssed with sound--probably the firing order thing coupled w/ relatively low V8 displacement.

I have a mid-70's 302 Ford (no headers--mild cam) in my 51 Merc & it sounds awesome with dual Smittys (glass-packs I believe).

I had dual 40 flowmasters (cross-connected) on my 86 pontiac GPX (305? cu in Chevy engine) & it sounded good.

I had dual 40 flowmasters (no X-conn) on my 51 Ford w/ mild-cammed 305 Chev (no headers) & was NOT impressed with sound.

I had dual FM ??'s on my 72 Chev truck w/ "englarged 454" Chev engine--big cam, headers (but no X-conn)--& it sounded REALLY AWESOME--but I blew them out.

Btm line you ask: 1) I don't think FM's sound good on later model small-displacement Fords (at least my exp. w/o x-conn)--cannot speak for them on early small displacement Fords, those w/ x-conn, or any large displacement Ford, for that matter),,,2) FM's do sound good on small displct Chevy's--w/ x-conn. only),,,and 3) FM's sound real good on large displct Chevy's -- and would probably sound good on any large displacement engine--esp w/ headers.

Whew, going for a break!

I'll probably get in trouble with the tech section mods for this, but:
Just as "Trix are for kids and ***** are for chicks, Flowmasters are for Fords"
There, it's that simple.
OK that's just to funny :cool:
Well, probably, on all the applications you mentioned, even supercharged engines. But I believe you may have forgotten the affect of post turbine housing backpressure on the efficiency of turbo applications.
And as everyone knows (flowmaster tells us this) FM's are designed with inherent backpressure, which in most N/A applications is a plus to some extent.
Yep, backpressure...but not just backpressure....Pulsating back pressure..tubo's loss their pulse at the turbo unlike NA's. Why do you think NA's sound like they have a cam lope when you put in a FM????

Yep, backpressure...but not just backpressure....Pulsating back pressure..tubo's loss their pulse at the turbo unlike NA's. Why do you think NA's sound like they have a cam lope when you put in a FM????

my Nova had a silky smooth idle- and that was with a fairly aggressive cam. it was really smooth all the ay thru the rpm band- it was smooth when i first got it running with the stock 307 and the "H" pipe that came with the exhaust kit, it was silky smooth when the 355 got built and ran it thru the "H" pipe, and it was slightly smoother when i put an "X" crossover in it. no lope, no drone, and no funny noises, just a nice rumble that turned to a wicked scream at about 5000 rpm.
i wish i would have made a few spund clips of that car. everyone thought it sounded badass.
my Regal, however, doesn't even sound like it's running at idle- but that is on a mostly stock car with the stock exhaust back to the axle exceptthat the cat is gutted. it does have a bit of a rasp to it when it builds boost and gets up past about 4000 rpm, tho, but not much. and that's just the way i like it. it is, after all, a Buick, and they are supposed to be quiet.

i'm suprised nobody has mentioned pit bull mufflers. My x friend put the ss atr 3" kit on his modded gn, at w.o.t, it sounded awesome. driving around was more drone than god knows what...... a hooker?;) I like my single 3" hooker.