You can type here any text you want

Fluctuating RPMS?? trans+? Coil? Chip?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DR. EVIL

THE DARKSIDE
Well, cars been having problem after problem. Right now it seems to be doing something weird when the throttle is constant, the RPMS fluctuate sometimes and if feels like its pulling out timing regardless of the boost or rpms (so its not really knocking at the time). Not sure if it's related to my extender chip/trans+ or the coil pack/module or maybe even the blow-off valve causing funky things to happen.
When the car runs good, it runs really good, when it starts with that funky problem, it bugs the hell outta me. When I'm cruisin at a constant 65/75mph it will feel like it keeps locking and unlocking the converter at random over and over.... I think its the rpms cutting out but I'm not sure. If I could just get this problem licked, I'd start racin people again... but right now I never know when it's going to start fluctuating rpms... the exhaust sounds like a gattling gun when it starts doing it sometimes all broken up.

:confused: I do know that the weld in my drivers side manifold is cracked AGAIN, I can hear the leak now.....

Could very well be your converter unlocking and relocking. I went threw the same thing several weeks ago. Drove me nuts for several days, and finally decided to get DS hooked up, because it was happening so quickly I needed to capture exactly what was happening.

So I started recording when I thought it might start doing it (it actually started showing a pattern of happening when the tps was constant at a very low level of about .8 volts (cruising)).

Well there it was, the TCC flag was flashing on and off, sure enough:eek:

Took me a couple more days of staring at the data to figure out WHY the TCC was unlocking randomly like that.

Turns out it was a bad TPS :mad: When it was at a certain voltage (between .7 to .9v) it would randomly drop to .2 and sometimes almost zero :eek:

This not only unlocks the TPS, but throughs the ECM into (not a limp home mode) some kind of strange mode. Car didn't run just exactly perfect until I shut it off and restarted it. (until the tps dropped out again anyway)

Get a scan tool hooked up and watch those TPS numbers when you feel this happening. And watch the TCC command flag.

could the IAC have anything to do with it? I know we haven't recalibrated it since I put a new one in....

Would it effect partial throttle driving too? Sometimes it will do it at quarter throttle when its getting close to shifting to 3rd, while at a constant throttle the whole time.

Sometimes it will even do it at WOT, balls out going strong, then it will feel like it's pulling timing, then stop, then do it again, then stop... maybe it's sending funky TPS readings and it things the throttle is being let up when it's floored.....

I had a Turbolink hooked up but it didn't refresh fast enough to tell me if the TCC was locking and unlocking and I don't think I could catch the TPS changing as quickly as it does it... any way to watch the TPS volts constantly while driving?

What other things did you notice when your TPS was bad? Anything else funky happen with the rpms during normal driving or WOT?

Back