You can type here any text you want

Fluid in power master nasty-why?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
I was doing a normal checkup of everything beings I took the car out monday night and noticed the fluid in teh resivoir is tan, like it's got moisture in it or something. Weird part it was only on the one side closest to the engine, the other side looked normal. Pretty much the same color as the resivior itself. What gives? I haven't lost any fluid it just seemed to turn that color. Could running it low cause this? I didn't have it COMPLETELY full but it was almost half.

change it out\thats the powermaster side and contaminated fluid ruins balls and switches

when was the last time you flushed it out- and dont saY never i just add:mad:

Well.......I just got the car running and I bought it last year. I found one problem, I checked it when I went out there to deal with my tailights and blinkers, and whadya know, damn near empty. WTF. filled it up and moved it out of the garage to sweep it out and a puddle on the ground:eek: . SUre didn't look like oil thank goodness, I bet its brake fluid:rolleyes: I saw a drip comming off the lower arm on the driver's side, I wonder why it pulls every once in a while:rolleyes: . I'll check it out tomorrow. Probably something with them pita rusty brakelines,(uh oh).

when was the last time you flushed it out- and don't saY never i just add:mad:
He! He! On my other GN, I still had the original Powermaster, wheel cylinders and calipers after 235,000 miles. I never completely flushed the system. A few times I sucked the reservoir out and put clean fluid back in and replaced the accumulator twice but that was it. Was still working great.

Brake fluid doesn't last forever. You have to change it once in a while.
Annually is good, but I have let it go 2 years without problems.

The PowerMaster likes clean fluid. As previously stated, it helps keep the mechanics in good condition. DOT4 is better than 3 in many ways. If you change your fluid out, I highly recomend it.

You should not 'fill' the reservoir. After driving the car there should only be about 3/8" of fluid in the left side reservoir because the rest of the fluid is inside the accumulator.

Yes, but I would say about half full.
That's where I run mine and no problems for over 6 years now.

Yeah I only got it sitting a little over half after it's been pumped 10 times. LIke I said I'm pretty sure I have a leak somewhere, nowhere up top, it must be coming froma line somwhere. I'm gonna go out and check it out in a little bit.

I guess I should have been more specific.
About half full when pumped up, full to full mark when pumped down (10 pedal pumps).

The other half of the bowl gets pumped into the acc when pumped up.

Get it?

In reality, you are low on fluid on your high pressure side.

Guess what?!!! Powermaster leaking around the bottom somewhere. Is this common? (probably!) Is there a rebuild kit for those things or do you have to exchange for cores? Where's the cheapest place to get one?

I would not call any leak in the P/M common.
They aren't supposed to do that.

Can you give a littel better description of where the leak is coming from? There are many different things that ba considered the bottom. How about some pictures?

Unless you have a professional rebuild manual, don't bother trying to rebuild it. With the costs of all the individual parts, you will come out better these days buying a rebuilt unit from Kirbans or some other supplier. I have heard of some getting units from the AutoZoo, or other parts stores. Kirbans gives you $75 off for your old core and he has some in stock.

I'll go out sometime today and try cleaning the entire thing up and start from scratch. Probably won't get results till tomorrow though.

Ok, but i will most likely not be back on line until Monday.
Don't have access at home any more.
But I will be glad to help.

it could be the master cylinder it self leaking,,,,

I took the black cylinder thing off last night and it looks like it's leaking at the part where it locks together in the middle, where it looks like you can twist it apart. Sorry I'm new to the whole car and don't know all the correct terms but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. The master was dry all way around.

I've never had an accumulator bowl leak, but if that is what you need, Kirban sells them for $180. Or watch his ebay auctions. I think there is one on there now.

Hydroboost Vs Vacuum Vs Powermaster

I Was Going To Say That The Motor/pump Seal Was Gone, And The Motor Was Filling Up With The Fluid. Then It Drips Out On The Frame.

Back