You can type here any text you want

Ford 9 inch question...narrowing it.

• Thread starter Thread starter coach
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
C

coach

Is it possible to put a 9" under our cars that is narrowed an inch per side and still have the G-Body brackets in the correct mounting locations? I found some rims I want to use, but they are 15x10 and the backspacing is about 3 3/4. I figure I need at least 4.5" or a little more, so I need to narrow the rear at least 3/4" per side, to tuck the tires in correctly. I also know that the shock/ trailing arm mount is already pretty close to the backing plate. Has anyone done this?

Future project in the works...

Thanks
Coach

If your only narrowing it enough to accomodate the shallower backspace, you probably won't have any issues. With a 3/4" shorter backspace and a 3/4" narrow on each side, effectively the inside of the wheel is in the same spot.

I have a 4.5" backspace and I narrowed my housing 1 1/2" on each side I think (never measured the width of a stocker). I had to move the lower mounts in about half an inch. But some of that was because of how my adjustable lower mounts are shaped and how low they drop.

If your only narrowing it enough to accomodate the shallower backspace, you probably won't have any issues. With a 3/4" shorter backspace and a 3/4" narrow on each side, effectively the inside of the wheel is in the same spot.

I have a 4.5" backspace and I narrowed my housing 1 1/2" on each side I think (never measured the width of a stocker). I had to move the lower mounts in about half an inch. But some of that was because of how my adjustable lower mounts are shaped and how low they drop.

I agree Mike,
Keep in mind, you cant measure the housing, you need to measure from axle flange to axle flange, of the GN rear, where the rims actually sits. Then measure your 9, the same way, and do the math. I had a guy pay big $$$ for his rear and they measured the 10 bolt and then made the Ford the amount they wanted under, well after the bearing plates, axles, and brakes were on, it was way off with no way to fix it short of starting over.
All I want is to put the front of the rim under the car further. If the housing is an inch or so further under the car, then it works like I have 1 inch more backspace. Havent looked into frame notch, but I dont think it will be necessary unless I go with the 325's instead of the 295's. There is a nice thread active right now about 15x10's with 5 inch backspacing and the tires are sitting pretty without rubbing.

On a side note, I need to email you tomorrow with a question about my other project I am working on.

Thanks
Coach:D

Your wife/lady won't be happy if you shorten it Donnie.:D Maybe you should make it longer?:eek:;)

I did that exactly, shornened 1 in per side,
Quick perf in Iowa did it, gave me a ton of room and allowed me a greater choice of wheels.
then I tubbed it, so it would accept anything!

Ok, another question. Has anyone taken a GN housing and instead of putting C clip eliminators, add the Ford axle ends and then use axles and retaining plates? I looked at my buddies car today and an inch per side is nothing. Probably go 2 inches per side if you had to.

Back