You can type here any text you want

forged or not forged

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Onalky87

is there a way to tell if a gn has forged internals or if its punched 30 over? without taking the motor apart im saying...bc a car i wanna buy, the guy says it forged and bored 30 over but dont have paperwork bc the last owner did it and he never get it from him...thanx

A lot of forged cranks need aftermarket balancer and flywheel. If you know someone with a boroscope sometimes you can see the numbers on top of piston. Who built it is the biggest question. anyone can put a smallblock together these engines are a differant story.I would pull the heads and pan and inspect.

chopped39 is right with the forged crank ususally needing a real harmonic balancer. As for pistons, sometimes you can see markings on the top thru the spark plug hole that may help identify them.

Jack it up &...

Drop the pan. It is not a big project and the only expense is a gasket and a little time.
PS. Remove the starter first.

the most important question is.....how does it run?

if it runs right, doesn't smoke, or make any noises, and the price is right who cares what may or may not be done to it. it is nice to know going in what you have going in. but if he can't document it then don't pay a premium for it.

Saying it with no proof means its someones wet dream more often than not. Pull the pan and take a look or pay to have it looked at. About an hour to R&R the pan + gasket and oil. $135. Never take someones word for it unless they put it in writing and actually have something to lose if their claim is BS. Dont get burned.

Saying it with no proof means its someones wet dream more often than not. Pull the pan and take a look or pay to have it looked at. About an hour to R&R the pan + gasket and oil. $135. Never take someones word for it unless they put it in writing and actually have something to lose if their claim is BS. Dont get burned.

+1, my car was supposed to have forged pistons, but after I took it apart it was all stock.

Back