You can type here any text you want

Found a 1979 turbo regal, have a few questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

obrut

I found a 79 turbo regal for sale, i have a few questions about performance. Does the 3.8 come with the turbo crank? How much boost can it take in stock form? The guy is asking $490 for the car but the engine is out. My friends and I are talking about doing battle of the beaters (budget racers) for $2000 or less. This seems like a good car for me to start with since I have a complete 4.1 that i bought for $100 and i have a stock intercooler from a 87 (if it can be fitted) and i would still be under my budget. Also i'm not looking to cut the car up but would like to build a budget racer thats driveable everyday that i can run at the track. What are some budget performance mods for these cars? Will my 87 intercooler work? How about the 4.1 intake with a 4bbl carb?

ALL 3.8 Turbos came with a turbo crank. The 4.1's had them as well.

They were 9 psi boost stock. Max depends on how well you can tune it (detonation). The block itself can handle plenty or power.

The intercooler won't work in the stock draw-thur configuration. You could use the 4.1 with the intercooler in a blow-thru set-up.

I would read a book called Turbochargers by Hugh MacInnes before getting started.

The engine is not worth $490 for parts. If it's good running and complete it might be worth it whole, but since it's out of the car already and you can't tell, I'd pass.

Back