You can type here any text you want

Found a GN, need advice

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WTBaGN

I found an 85 GN for sale, the lady im trying to buy it from says it hasn't run since 2000, and needs a "modiguel" I assume she meant Module, maybe ignition? Wondering what I should look for as far as common rust spots, and common no start issues? Once I go look at it im going to check for spark/fuel if possible. She lives a decent haul away from me, but is asking 2500$ for it. Considering it but its a risk as i wont know the condition of the motor/trans

You do know that's a "Hot Air" car, right? 86-87 intercooled "Cold Air" cars are more valued here, due to increased performance from Factory, though Hot Air cars can be made to go fast. Look for rust on bottom of doors, underneath on the floor pans, behind rear tires on the quarter panels, on door sills underneath doors, if it's a T-Top car, you can bet money they are rusted along the top of the windshield. Rust can be a deal breaker, make sure you're not buying a "Parts Car". HTH.

Yeah, I was hoping i'd be able to convert it somehow, if possible? I dont think its a t-top. From the one picture posted it doesn't look like a parts car, and will keep all that in mind. I also found an 87' with 120k, rebuilt transmission, new turbo, needs suspension work, a brake booster, has a few scratches and a ding on the bumper. The guy said it has some sort of racing fuel pump in it, and he thinks it runs a bit rich, and it runs pretty good, but probably could use some tuning, the only spot that seems to have rust is the trunk, and he has a replacement that comes with it hes asking 6, but i think i could get it for 5 to 5.5...

If you are looking to spend in the $6K ish range, you have some options. I wouldn't jump on the first car I saw that fit your budget if I were you. There are plenty of 86 - 87 cars out there that are very nice drivers with decent mods for what you are looking to spend.

Do a search on here ans you will see some of the killer deals had on some clean T's and GN's.

Best of luck to you with your search.

When you find one, post on here where it is and maybe someone will go check it out for/with you... :)

First, you'd get more responses if you posted this in the appropriate forum such as The Lounge. This is for selling cars, since you're not selling one..........

Anyway, I'd be a little weary of that ebay car. Two people backed out of it, may just be bad luck for the seller or there could be something to it. He claims they never saw it, but maybe they went to pick it up and it was a piece of $hit so they walked away. You never know unless you go check it out first.

Here's one I found on craigslist the other day. Seems like a good deal except for the t-tops. I'll be more than happy to check it out for you if you like.

1987 BUICK GRAND NATIONAL $5500 OBO

Back