Found a GNX - Im torn!! Need Advice

Double Overhead

I had a once in a lifetime find the other day. I was driving through a neighborhood the other day when I stumbled upon a GNX sitting in a driveway. It was covered in dust hadnt been moved in a long while. I could not beleive it!! I contacted the owner and he gave me the history. Im 99% sure its a legit GNX.

It was basically a daily driver for about ten years. It wasnt really for sale but he was a super nice guy and we had a good rapport going. He threw out a price he would sell it to me for. I wanted to get an opinion of values on this.

Car has 100K miles and is on its faded second paint job. Motor etc.. Has been kept stock. It probably hasnt been driven or started for years. Interiror is in better than expected condition and badges, wheels, and other GNX things are intact. I didnt even ask to start it for obvious fluid reasons. Id give it probably a 5 out of 10 overall.

***Heres what im flip flopping on***

1. Based on the high miles and rough condition this would be the only chance I would ever have to own/afford a legit GNX in my life.

2. Its much more than I was going to pay for a nice GN that I wanted.

3. I would love to do a restoration project on it but I dont know if it is worth it on a such a rare calssic such as this.

4. Im married to a woman who would not appreciate the rarity and nostalgia of the GNX -- and the price

Help I need opinions!! Im going to try to go look at it again on thursday. I have driven by a few more times and there it sits in its glory.

Without disclosing the price he gave, I wanted to get opinions of what you guys would be willing to pay for this beast. How you feel about the condition of it, other than you are probably heart broken.

To be quite honest, if you can afford it, go for it. It would make for a nice restoration project, especially with it being a GNX. If the owner is just going to let it sit, might as well go rescue it and bring it to a good home. I mean, it's a GNX ......I would buy it in a heartbeat if I had the money. The wifey may get upset, but a GNX is one car worth investing time/money in....even with high miles, it's not gonna lose any value in the years to come, but go up in value.

If you can get it at a decent price, meaning under say $10k then buy it. Sounds like it would need a complete resto though, would probably cost you around 25k to totally restore it though. In the end you would still have a 100k car.:(

You are looking at a long term project and a lot of cash and aggravation ahead of you if you were to take on this project. Paint job, engine rebuild, trans rebuild, interior redo etc.

If I were bucks up which I am not, I would buy it. If I was anxious to get a TR and have immediate fun, I would go for the nice GN.

If you CAN get if for a lot less than 10K, buy it, put it on ebay and make a nice profit.:D

I would agree around $15K sounds about right. Purchasing any GNX is pretty much a safe situation.

The big question you need to answer is what is your initial feeling or intent for the car? Are you thinking; restore it and then flip it for profit or are you going to keep it for yourself to enjoy. Once you make that choice you can start focusing on the car itself and then the asking price.

High miles in my opinion are relative, meaning; right from the start you know the car needs a resto/rebuild. Just plan on spending money to do it right. Additionally, would you really “enjoy” a GNX with less than……… lets say 5000 miles? You probably would never drive it.

As for the wife, good luck…………;)

i would buy it. im sure hes not asking an arm and a leg for it. when are you ever going to have the chance to buy 1 of 547 cars made. buy it, tuck it away, make a project out of it. 5 or 10 years from now, you could have a car that could easily be worth 60-75K

as long as he has all of the paperwork and all of the gnx items, you are safe.

FWIW & IMHO:
Oops, my bad. I am going to go against the majority rule of responses here:
A nice wife/spouse is worth so much more that a broken GNX
It will still be a 100K mile car, which in some people's opinion is worth more than no car, but not in my case. If can't have something extraordinarily nice, then I don't want it. I would explain your dimema? to your spouse, show her both cars, explain to her both cars, and get her feelings before proceeding further. I personally am short of patience I admit, but I would much rather have a nice GN than a broken beat GNX. I am sure that you have considered the effects of "Family values" regarding this situation. Plan on moving your side of the bed to the garage if you make a bad decision here. You do have a heated garage, don't you.
Good luck either way.
Keep in mind that spouses are not very forgiving as a general rule

I'm lucky enough to have a wife that would probably buy the car before me and want me to restore it for her:D . My wife and I are in the same situation as you. We could only afford a GNX like your find. But, I have to agree with Gary, your family is more important than a car. I hope you can get it worked out. If you can't buy the car, spread the word to folks here.
John

PICS PICS PICS

We need to actually see the car to value it, but based on your description, $10-15k.

Like Wells says, if Momma aint happy nobodys happy:D

My wife flipped when I bought my GN last year. Then she say how happy it made me and she said it was ok. NOw after a few major overhaul she is back to wanting to kick my tail. If your relationship is strong then might just understand the investment. Its only a car, it can not keep you warm at night. Also I am a believer in it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

Also I am a believer in it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

GOTTA LOVE THAT STATEMENT
:D

I'd say Buy it in any case just to rescue it from this guy who does not seem to care too much about it. If you decide to invest the time and money in a resto, great! If not simply turn around and sell it to someone who will. You can make a small profit and be considered a hero by many in this subculture, not to mention the deed you'd be doing for the GNX itself!

I think the mileage would be a problem for me. You will still have 100k on it. Like said how much money will you have in it once you pay someone to restore it. Cheap purchase can easily add up to a big investment.

I think the biggest problem would be the wife. I would not even deal with a spouse that did not support my hobbies. But thats just me, prolly why i only have a girlfriend and not married.

Buy that GNX and fix it up!!!

Well IF its a GNX an ya can get a deal BUY it . It will be like a second wife . You will have more in the car IF you restore it than it's worth BUT you can do as you have the $$$ . You will love it one day and want to burn it the next !!! Hey it will be a love-hate relationship!! Now it IS a real GNX right ?? DON'T ASSUME !!!

RD

You do know how to tell the difference between a GNX and a clone, right?

Here's a few of the obvious differences....

Fender Flares
Fender vents including the inner fender cutout/ducts for them
Relay cluster fitted to a bracket by wiper motor, instead of inner fender
Numbered dash
Recessed SW gauges on dash cluster
GNX logo on differential with modified suspention
Stereo, if stock, should have EQ
GNX grille emblem with simmilarly shaped bracket
GNX turbo shield
Rear seat brace seen from inside trunk (stamped metal, not tubular)
GNX rims (not copies)

Theres more, but this will be a good start...

You guys have given some great adivce. Ever since I saw the car it has been on my mind 24/7. The prices you guys have suggested are a little lower than what he quoted. That being said I havent negotiated the price yet and feel he would could down a bit closer to what you guys are quoting for value. I have thought he would call me for sure this week and drop the price as he is not getting any use outta of it- but that hasnt happened. The hardest part is to see it sit there with no car cover or even windshield cover. Its sickening - I feel like buying a car cover and going over there and putting it on. I know if he works on the price a little I will pull the trigger and get it. His price is right on that bubble to where I would be sleeping in the garage with it

Another thing that has me worrried is it would be my first Turbo Buick and maybe I would be bitting off more than I could chew with a restore project on one. It would be harder on the wife to have it sit there in the garage than to have a clean looking GN that I could take out on weekends. I could just see her parking there everyday next to it and saying what a waste of money. She is a great woman, its just not her thing. Just like I cant see how she could spend $100 on a pair of jeans.

Out of respect for this guy I do do not want to post the number or give out any info without his consent. Like I said, it wasnt for sale until I stopped and talked to him about it. I will see if he will let me take some pics on Thursday.

Im 99% sure it is legit, I havent verified the VIN yet but everything else on it looks legit. Ive been a big GNX fan in the past so I know most things to look for but I havent verified all of the above as I was in a hurry when I first talked to him. I hope to spend a lot more time with the car Thursday and I will keep you posted. It makes me sick to think about how I will feel in five years if I pass this up. Keep the comments coming!

If it's more than $15K, Pass.

It's not a "deal".

For $15K you can get a Beautiful, low mile regular GN, you can drive occasionally for 10 years and sell it for more than what you paid for it (maybe a lot more)

Your wife would be much happier with this option. Trust me.