You can type here any text you want

Frame Clearance....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Madcat455

True love
Whats the best way to get some clearance for rears??

My 275/60/15's are hitting the frame on the inside sholder of the tread area. Smells really good down the road:p

Should I just heat it up and smack it in with a BFH?? I don't think I need that much room.

Or should I just go out and notch the frame... get it out of the way:D ? Anyone got pics of notched frames, how much you took out, additional reinforcements, etc?

This is even with ¼in spacers... using stock 84 Ttype wheels (one of my favorite wheels... I'm weird like that).

I've tried it with my stock LCA's, cargo coils. Now with SSM LCA's, stock GN springs and airbags (better this way than before).

I might be able to adjust the LCA's forward some, but that'd kill my pinion angle(5deg).

Any ideas??

Thanks

If you want the stock T wheel look with a better fit for bigger tires, I would suggest looking in to the Gbodyparts widened T wheels. Their 15x8 T wheel has a 4 inch BS, so it will keep away from the frame a bit more than your stocker. I just got a set of 15x8 GN rims from Gbody parts, and the 275 60 15 tires have enough clearance from the frame due to the 4 inch BS. Now I only worry about height clearance (saggy stock springs):eek:

The likely reason for the rubbing is that you're one of the guys who likes to cram tires that are too wide onto the stock rims. It makes the sidewall bulge out and that's why you'll get rubbing on the frame. Like gmpower suggested, get a wheel meant for that tire size and the rubbing won't be an issue.

It would be a shame to notch the frame just because you don't have the tires properly matched to a wide enough wheel. If you like the stock look, go with the Gbodyparts wide wheels like mentioned above.

T wheels

The 275/60/15 MT drag radials fit fine on my stock wheels with no rubbing. You might just need a little clearance on one side of the frame due to rear end, bushings, etc. Look at it closely before buying the new rims.

Back