You can type here any text you want

Frame notch question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

incharge

I have been on the fence about notching my frame and while looking at the wheel well today I was thinking cant you just notch the 5" on each side of the rim where the tire hits the frame and leave the center section of the rim alone this would save about 15" of frame that can remain stock.

No. If you then add a wider wheel,[or different back spacing], how will you get it on and off???

I never plan on going with anything but a 15" wheel and no taller than 28" tires which is already the largest height tire that I use ,I just think it would be a lot easier to just notch out were the tire is going to hit the frame approx. 5-6" on both sides of the rim and this should not weaking the frame as much as doing a full notch... I need advise fast as I have plasma cutter and welder waiting on my decisionI want to fit the monster 325-50-15 MT Drag Radials as my 275-60-15 MT Drag Radials are worn out .

IMO, it would be easier to just do a full notch, you never know when you may want to change up tire/wheel combo. fairly easy to do if you have a plasma anyhow. Wouldn't think sectioning it out would be much stronger than doing the whole thing, use 3/16" plate and weld it up good.
Good luck.

your also goin to need a BIG hammer for the inner wheel wells :p

Grumpy did you finally do the frame notch ?? what size tire did you go with? I really am undecided on this ...

Grumpy did you finally do the frame notch ?? what size tire did you go with? I really am undecided on this ...

yup... last Feb .... she runs the 325s when she's racing and the 275s for drivin on the street ... 325s get WAY to much attention on the street :eek: :cool:

Not worth chopping up the frame in my opinion. I let my 325s stick out, might look a bit goofy, but didn't slice up my car. Not trying to imply that my way is better or worse, but for people that don't want to do any heavy modifying to their cars, you can still run a hefty tire in back. Just gotta pick the right wheel size/spacing and it won't rub.

MIGHT?!?!?!! just looking at your pic in your sig :frown:

ghetto booty!!! Just teasing, different strokes man.
I got a set of 17" 315's tucked under the back, notched frame. Never a second thought doing the frame notch, got all the room I need for tires. Also run a 10" x 28" tall slick nicely tucked under.

Attachments

• center caps 012.jpg
    center caps 012.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 209
Back