Frame notching how-to questions

BigBlockOlds

Okay, I have an '87 Olds Cutlass Supreme that I am currently getting ready for body work.
I have bought a set of GNX fender flares for it but after getting them realized how they mount and that they might not give me the clearance I want. They still look cool and I plan on keeping them but would still like to run a wider wheel/tire combo.

So my question is, how do you go about notching the frame? Is it just a matter of cutting out a section of the frame and rewelding it back together? What about bracing? Will this significantly weaken the frame to the point that I'll be twisting it up?

Right now I have 17x8" wheels with 4" backspacing and 255/45 tires on the rear. They look better than the stock 14 inchers but I would REALLY love to stuff something massive under there. Say something around a 17x10" wheel with 295 or 315 series tires.
I still want to be able to lower the rear end also and still have suspension travel.
Thanks for all of the help!

Thanks for the links!

I'm taking my car down to a friends house (BLACKSHEEP from ROP) tomorrow and we're going to brainstorm on the bodywork and chassis stuff. He'll be the one doing all of the body work/modifications.

Reading that article it says that you will have 14" from the frame to the wheel well assuming that you roll the wheel wheel lip (which I will do).

How much room should be left between the tire and the wheel well edge and also between the tire and the frame?

What would be the possible maximum size wheel I'd be able to run? What about tire size?

Thanks for the help!

Originally posted by Spdrcer34
Hey Andrew, fancy meeting you here!

Here is a link to pretty good pictorial on the process, and it also shows how to do a 'mini-tub' in a G-body

http://home.hiwaay.net/~ppatter/frame_notching.htm

Ryan

Well, I talked with my friend who is going to do the bodywork and he seems really enthusiastic about this project. :)

The plan is to use a spare frame that I have and do all of the cutting and notching on it along with boxing it in for more strength. Then we'll just roll my car in, pull the body off and slide the new frame underneath. This way I'll also get a chance to replace all of the body bushings also.

We're also going to "mini tub" the wheel wells to make better use of the frame notch. And besides, I have to cut them out anyway to fix the rust so I mightaswell....... :D :D :D

Thanks for the help,