You can type here any text you want

Freeze Plugs

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Reginald West

Guys what is everybody doing to keep the Freeze Plugs in the block ? I know some of you are pinning them but how are you doing it ?Are you drilling the block? what size hole? I was thinking of using a small screw with washers but how deep do I drill the holes? The engine is still in the car but I do have it striped I was going to try and use a angle head drill to drill the holes. All thoughts welcome I need to get this done before Vegas.

REG

Originally posted by Reginald West
Guys what is everybody doing to keep the Freeze Plugs in the block ? I know some of you are pinning them but how are you doing it ?Are you drilling the block? what size hole? I was thinking of using a small screw with washers but how deep do I drill the holes? The engine is still in the car but I do have it striped I was going to try and use a angle head drill to drill the holes. All thoughts welcome I need to get this done before Vegas.

REG

My block was epoxied when I got it..I have been meaning to redo it the same way. That seemed to work for the Busch motor guys.

Thanks Kendall my stage 1 block had expoxyed freeze plugs also and I never had a problem with them.I lost a freeze plug at the track last Friday night in my stage 2 car and I am here to tell you that was one wild ride.I have to get these things pinned so anybody out there that has done this please speak up I don't want to mess up a good staged block by doing something dumb.

REG

Reginald,
My 153 Busch North block has each of them held in with three round headed rivets, I'd never seen anything like that, but thats per my machine shop.

Jim Turner

Jim
You would'nt know what size the rivets are would you? and how deep the holes are drilled?

REG

Reg, I have used a SS flat allen head screw that is 8/32" and is a 1/4" long. I measure 1/4" up on the drill and place a piece of duck tape to act as a visual stop. You also have to use a starter tap and a bottom tap. I also use some silicone on the threads and two washers (one small 8/32 and 1/4") so that the larger washer over hangs the freeze out plug.
Jeff

Originally posted by Reginald West

I think the easiest would be to epoxy them in. Just make sure the surfaces are prepped & clean. Also be sure & use a deep cup freeze plug instaed of the usual shallow ones. The side freeze plugs are the only ones to worry about. I dought if you wil ever have a problem with the rears.

Back