You can type here any text you want

fresh short block

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"More Boost"

Major Member
i just got my short block back from machine shop. (assembled) seems awful tight. what should the tq required to turn crank with pistons rods etc. (no cam) assembled? does this vary depeding on pistons/rings used? how tight is too tight? and crankshaft end play is only .002-.0025. is this too tight? :confused: any help is appreciated (i'm running federal mogul M107 comp. bearings, they say these bearings have a tighter clearance thrust bearing) again my concern is how tight is too tight?

2-2.5 thou. is ok for thrust manual trans can use a little more but still ok
around=approximately 80% of friction or drag comes from the rings (yes roller guys spring pressure is alot too) so no specific torque is used

So heads are on?? Take out pushrods & try it then. I have Beehives & its fairly tight after a freshening up. Exact torque I cant say but its sure not sloppy & loose.

there's no heads on the block no pushrods and i cant turn by hand........
Man, that does not sound good.
Call the machine shop. Good luck!

Edit:
Are you turning it at the flywheel or on the snout?

If you put a socket on the balancer bolt & a 1/2" handle, then can you turn it? How much force is needed?

Either way check it out good before it goes back together or have the machine shop go over it again.

Back