You can type here any text you want

Friendly TTA advice...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MiamiTTA

Hello ALL,
I just recently bought my first Turbo T/A.
It will make a nice project car, wanted something not so common down here in in Miami, FL. and keep it American muscle.
This car will be a streetable mph car. Not planning to do much 'out of the hole' racing. I took a nice long read through this forum to familiarize myself and have been cooking ideas up in my head ;)

The TTA I bought is bone stock, 1 owner, 72,600 original weekend driven, never raced miles. Tranny has slight, slow leak, have not investigated the issue. Shifts fine, not really worried about it yet. Car interior is superb.

Please give any opinions and feedback on any mods I listed below.. as you all know the car pretty well. Many are running very different combinations, and everyone seems very helpful :)

At least mid 11 sec is target track time.

Please feel free to share any info on the sections below. Sorry for the length.

Block, heads, intake:
Would like to run stock block, Can and will work on heads sooner or later. Any recommendations on what to do to stock heads?

Larger TB and portmatch upper plenum is being considered.
I would assume lower plenum porting, etc. will be done along with head porting, cam work, etc. would like to know more of my options here. Nothing too radical.

I hear about the LT1 MAF.. is anyone selling the conversion online?

Fuel, electronics, turbo/DP, IC, exhaust:
Doing the standard stuff; Fuel Pump, Regulator, K&N filter.
The Alky kit sounds very interesting.
When upgrading the fuel pump/ regulator, which are the proven brands?

Turbo will be swapped not sure for which size. any comment?

What are the stock injector lbs?
would like to upgrade to higher flowing injectors, fuel rail, etc. when the turbo decision is made.

THDP 3" seems to be a crowd fav, apparently some fit issues with that..

Not sure what fuel management system to go with or what chip options I have... Seen several on the net, just dont know what is proven or what is junk. Any Input would help.

IC:
Liquid or Front mount? that is the question.
I heard 'Charged Air' made a front mount for the TTA, cant find them online.

Exh.
I would like 3" exh. throughout.. Any recommended brand. Would like something that fits nice. I like quality here.

Suspension Mods:
(stock suspension seems older and worn, need more control at high speed)
Please shed any light on where to start her if you own a TTA with suspension mods (street or track)

Brakes:
(stock brake are so so, need more) I was thinking New brake system all around - Rotors, calipers, braded lines, etc.
Maybe there is a more inexpensive route that works well enough

Tranny mods:
Can someone clarify what the stock TTA tranny is?
Hoping there is a shift kit of some sort that beefs up stock tranny... If not, any insight as to what the most common tranny mods are?

Thinking of some 18" CCW wheels with the mesh powder coated in the Gold color. 18x11 in the rear if i can make it fit. Will notch chassis if possible. any thoughts?
Ride height would need to be adjusted via Springs/Suspension for nice proportional look.

Pardon my ignorance, just absorbing the knowledge :D

I am sure I may have left some things out feel free to elaborate.

Thanks in advance,
AL

Your goals of 11's is easy in these cars:
Walbro 340 pump and Hot Wired
Swap in some high Z 60/65 injectors, better to go big and grow into them rather than have to replace again later, no drivability issues with these.
3" DP
Scan Tool such as Turbo Link or Direct Scan is a must for track tuning so you can log the runs and look back at them.
Trans+ w/LS1 MAF, then you can change your fueling and spark based on the log of the run and get the Extender and you'll have even more tuning options so you don't have to have a hundreds chips to buy and fool with, or program your own.
You can make it to the 11's with the stock turbo, but a TA49 or TE44 or GT3255 would really help but is not neccessary depending on tuning skills, or bigger turbo than those if your goals are low 11s easily.
Head work is really not needed for 11's at all. Neither is exhaust, just get a dump on the DP.

Scantool, fuel, tires, octane, timing, exhuast.. thats all it needs to be in the low 12's high 11's.

Stock IC, Stock TB, stock suspension, stock Turbo, slicks/nitto's, injectors, chip.. low 12's on alky+ 93.

On 93 by itself be prepared to go into the motor and spend $$$

Start with a scanmasterII.. work your way from there learning how to read it.

Fix the tranny, if it has an issue.. you up the boost.. its gonna come apart really fast.

Lastly do reading in this forum for a few days.. go through the posts and get familiarized with the do's and dont's

Easy.

Yep, forgot to mention that, must up the octane to go fast safely, alky is the easiest/cost effective way if for street use. If only at the track, then you can pour in 104 unleaded and run 20#s safely, any more boost than that you'll need to upgrade form the stock turbo, it looses its efficiency after 20-21#s. Race fuel will run you about $5-$7 a gallon at todays prices...a littel pricey to run that all the time, so alky for the street. Keep the stock IC, it works fine for goals of 11's.

Back