Front and back play on flexplate????

turbo96max

I have a noise that i was checking out to make sure that it was not a rod nock. found that the whole crank had about 1/8 inch play , like a turbo shaft , front and back, is my engine dead? is the block and crank garbage?

Could be..

I have a noise that i was checking out to make sure that it was not a rod nock. found that the whole crank had about 1/8 inch play , like a turbo shaft , front and back, is my engine dead? is the block and crank garbage?

the thrust brg has gone away. If you catch it in time, the block may be OK. Continue running it, and it'll all be "toast".
End play should be .004-.007. At .125, it's waaay past useable.:eek:
Before you take the engine out, unhook the converter, and see how far it will push back into the trans. Should be 1/8 to 1/4". [Or there abouts] If it is "zero", the converter has loaded the thrust so hard, that the crank has eaten the brg face off.
Engine been "rebuilt"4??

the thrust brg has gone away. If you catch it in time, the block may be OK. Continue running it, and it'll all be "toast".
End play should be .004-.007. At .125, it's waaay past useable.:eek:
Before you take the engine out, unhook the converter, and see how far it will push back into the trans. Should be 1/8 to 1/4". [Or there abouts] If it is "zero", the converter has loaded the thrust so hard, that the crank has eaten the brg face off.
Engine been "rebuilt"4??

dammit. the engine i was told is a virgin. i got the car about 2 months ago, and if keeps it up, ill have it for another two and then its gone. lol lol well the engine made noise during lunch break friday, then i drove home afterwork and parked it. one days worth of grinding, not sure if that was enought o cause permanent damage??? ill check the converter tonight. does this happen bc of the converter used? could it be the tranny shifts too hard? Any opinion on autozone shortblock?

"one days worth of grinding, not sure if that was enought o cause permanent damage??? ill check the converter tonight. does this happen bc of the converter used? could it be the tranny shifts too hard? Any opinion on autozone shortblock?"

Damage may have already been done when you got the car. You just finished it off. The crank thrust flange may be toast, as well as the brg. @.125 endplay, the rod brgs are also taking a beating. They may be FUBAR, also.
A ballooned converter can cause this. Converter not seated, hung in the ft pump bushing are all possibilities.

A "twilite zone" S/B is, IMO, a total waste of $$. It's totally potluck as to what they've put in it.
I'd get an engine that's built by someone that knows WTF is up.

the tranny does shift pretty hard in my opinion, but the tranny guy is a gn guru supposedly. I was just looking into it bc a shortblock is only like 700 bucks or so... but I will wait to see if I can find something better.....