Front Brake Overhaul ?s

Weazel

This just in,alky is good
Hello,

In diagnosing a starter problem I jacked the front of the car up. I took the wheels off and noticed that my calipers both seem to be overly tight (seized maybe?) You can hear them rubbing when I turn the wheel, and I can only get about 1 rotation giving them a good turn by hand. I assume this is not normal?
Anyway, I looked in Chiltons and they said 0.98" thickness should be used as a minimum for front rotors. New they're 1.045" thick. Mine are around 0.91"-0.94", so it sounds like they're DUE. The pads I have on now are VERY hard material, so I will replace them as well. Should I just replace the calipers as well, or try to fix the current ones? Any specific place I should go for new stock-ish calipers? (I've seen the brake upgrade kits. Cool stuff but I don't wanna drop the $$$). Any ideas on price? Thanks!

Calipers are so cheap now, just buy new. Any auto parts store will have them in stock.

Wow, you're not kidding. I was thinking "cheap" like $50 per, I found them for $12 with exchange :eek: I think that's a wise call, I will pay the $24 for insurance of "new" (remanf.) calipers. Thanks for the advice UNGN! :cool: