You can type here any text you want

Front Cover Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87GNT

Guys- is this expected wear on the inner front cover where the cam has engraved itself? Its roughly about a quarter in depth

Attachments

• 1426601538230.jpg
    1426601538230.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 267
It is. That's a result of the factory cam button being a solid piece of plastic. The fix is to get a roller cam button from a 95 buick park ave 3800.

If you're going to reuse that cover make sure it's not worn so bad there's a tit in the middle sticking up. If so, you'll need to knock it down flat for the roller button. The correct way to do it is with a milling machine.

It is. That's a result of the factory cam button being a solid piece of plastic. The fix is to get a roller cam button from a 95 buick park ave 3800.

If you're going to reuse that cover make sure it's not worn so bad there's a tit in the middle sticking up. If so, you'll need to knock it down flat for the roller button. The correct way to do it is with a milling machine.

Man you know your stuff!!!!!! Ok will go get a button from a 95 Buick Park Ave. Thanks a million Earl!!!

There's really no spec for a depth reading. Just keep in mind, there's water on the other side of that spot.

Once you get it spot faced and get the roller bearing, the wear will be stopped.

A mill and epoxy a washer in place and you will be fine. The oil passages need a lot more attention than the wear spot does. The stock timing cover needs a lot of help. Send it to Earl........I'm too busy to do it. If you can wait..........send it to me. But you're gonna have to wait a few months while I heal and complete my commitments to other guys. Earl........send him a note!

Guys what is it the stock units lack or what's the 'lots of help' they need? Theres many stockers going fast and surviving so I'm kinda undecided which way to go on my new build. Also considering say 200 vs 500 dollar covers.....

Casting flash, sharp edges, undersized feed passages, greater than 90* turns, poor oil routing, etc...

When those covers were designed they were for a little low HP car that didn't make enough power to really stress the oil delivery mechanism. Our engines like to load the hell out of the rod bearings just off idle. If the pump waits to get on the clock, it's a recipe for disaster.

Casting flash, sharp edges, undersized feed passages, greater than 90* turns, poor oil routing, etc...

When those covers were designed they were for a little low HP car that didn't make enough power to really stress the oil delivery mechanism. Our engines like to load the hell out of the rod bearings just off idle. If the pump waits to get on the clock, it's a recipe for disaster.

Earl- Don't you sell replacement covers that address the short comings of the stock one's?

Back