Front mount and alky, is it worth it?

jimmymopower

I have a front mount I was planning on installing in the next week or so, but I've read a couple of posts saying that the alky does all the cooling, making the large front mounts somewhat useless. Just wanted to get some feed back before I go through the trouble of installing it. Thanks in advance! :)

I plan on finally installing my alky kit this week. I have a Cottons front mount. I'll post back when I have some results. I think the general consensus is that alky will allow one to push past the point of needing a front mount with stock location intercoolers.

I have a mild combo, 60PPH, TA62, 206/206 cam, and a Cotton's Front Mount.
Oh, and Razor's Alky Control kit. :)

I can run even more timing, with the alky on, and the car feels noticebly faster.

fm & alky

From what I notice a front mount helps. But the alky is the key. Just dont overkill with a huge front mount. If you gonna make 600 hp why put a ic on capable of 1700 that is twice the cost & size of something that will work great with the alky.

I was running a stock intercooler before moving to a PS intercooler with all three inch pipe. After the install, I ran the same ET and MPH but with two pounds less boost.

Alky is doing the cooling, and the larger pipes and intercooler removed the restriction.

I probably would have seen the same change with just installing a big neck on the stock intercooler.

alk & fmic

well the ps is capable of supporting alot of cfm. For what your doing the stocker modded & alky would have been plenty. The bigger ic can support the bigger turbos at higher volumes. Goodluck

Thanks for the replys. I have a monster of a front mount, I got a good deal on it so I'd like do do something with it... are there any draw backs to doing this? I think it will support 1300 hp :eek: . 4row, 4in thick, a gagillion cfm. I know its a total overkill, for now... :biggrin: . Is the lag gonna drive me up the wall? Guess I could try it and see. Thanks again!

Also, turbo and inj upgrades are soon to follow, start with a ta49 and 50s, go from there. The reason I'm trying to figure the front mount out first is I have some body work to do on the front and have to pull all this stuff off anyway. Stupid deer :mad: .

jimmymopower said:
Also, turbo and inj upgrades are soon to follow, start with a ta49 and 50s, go from there.

Go with the 60s. They give so much better control over the fueling.

Alky can not change the pressure drop across the IC core, but going to a good FMIC will and in return, net you a more efficient turbo and even lower inlet temps.

I believe Bruce's test of No IC, IC and IC with Alky was pretty telling in that sometimes you can throw $$ at these cars and make them faster. ;)