You can type here any text you want

Front rotors and pads question...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TTA850

So I pop the front wheels off my GTA today to investigate a noise that ended up being a wiped set of pads and unfortunatly one torn up rotor.

So I'm gonna replace the pads, rotors, and wheel bearings and was wondering if anybody is using and would reccomend a different brand or type of pad/rotor. Any aftermarket stuff out there(ie. slotted or drilled)? My first thought was to just get a stock replacement set of rotors and pads but figured I'd get some opinions first, I mean if I gotta change em anyway might as well upgrade.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

I went with Performance friction pads from autozone, they said lifetime warranty, stops really well. I am probably going to by the slotted rotors from Hawks performance they look like they might be an upgrade over the stock front rotors, I think they are like $150 for the pair.

Originally posted by TTA850
So I pop the front wheels off my GTA today to investigate a noise that ended up being a wiped set of pads and unfortunatly one torn up rotor.

So I'm gonna replace the pads, rotors, and wheel bearings and was wondering if anybody is using and would reccomend a different brand or type of pad/rotor. Any aftermarket stuff out there(ie. slotted or drilled)? My first thought was to just get a stock replacement set of rotors and pads but figured I'd get some opinions first, I mean if I gotta change em anyway might as well upgrade.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Carmotorsports sells SP rotors and pads. You can get sloted, cross drilled, diamond sloted or a combination of. The street pads are like $55.0. Go to their website and see what you think.
www.carmotorsports.com. You can also call Rich at (770) 486-8047. I have these on 1231 and I really like them.

If you do a search you will see a split opinion on the slotted and/or cross-drilled rotors. Many people say or have actually experienced cracks in them for street driving. I hate to generalize, but when I asked and read everyone's feedback, the general opinion was forget about them for the street.

The Carmotorsports stuff is probably great but expensive IMHO and for most people it's overkill. No offense intended to them because they market great stuff, but I'd seriously consider a Baer setup before I bought their setup.

The Autozone PF stuff is a great deal for the money, especially with the lifetime replacement. For most people this if more than good enough.

There is a brand of cross-drilled rotors that is much less expensive than Car motorsports that you might consider. If you do a search in this forum, you will find it come up numerous times. The name escapes me but it was available from several sources at a reall reasonable price.

Originally posted by mark b
If you do a search you will see a split opinion on the slotted and/or cross-drilled rotors. Many people say or have actually experienced cracks in them for street driving. I hate to generalize, but when I asked and read everyone's feedback, the general opinion was forget about them for the street.

The Carmotorsports stuff is probably great but expensive IMHO and for most people it's overkill. No offense intended to them because they market great stuff, but I'd seriously consider a Baer setup before I bought their setup.

The Autozone PF stuff is a great deal for the money, especially with the lifetime replacement. For most people this if more than good enough.

Howdy Mark!

The pads that SP Performance and Car Motor Sports sell are Performance Friction pads, SP does make the rotors. As far as the cracking of the cross drill, I haven't experienced it yet but, I was told by some road race folks that cross drilled rotors will crack under race conditions (road course) but are fine for the street and drag. Hey! There's a certain 'cool' factor involved here too! HA! Check out SP's website http://www.nationalfleetparts.com/sp_performance.asp

Adi Ose!

Yeah, that's the link I was looking for, good post!

I agree, most of the crackers were auto-cross people. But what concerned me was city driving with lots of stop and go would also put a lot of heat into the rotors.

Either way, when you get a good set of pads and even a set of new stock rotors, the difference in stopping power is usually significant.

PS - hope you haven't broken anything lately!

My experiance with PF pads is that they work great and improve braking, but they have one huge drawback. They are F-I-L-T-H-Y. We had them on a SHO and within a week the wheels were black. We wound up buying dust shields. Good luck trying to keep the intricate stock TA wheels clean!

I'm going to try the new Raybestos ones. They appear to have the same stopping power as the PF and put out less dust.

Thanks for all the info, I ended up getting a set of Raybestos stock replacement rotors($40 ea)and Wagner pads($90). I was hoping to get some better stuff like the parts listed here but the prices are a bit steep, like $300 a pair for rotors, and after pulling the wheels I noticed my ET Streets are pretty well worn away(cords showing). I guess I shouldnt have taken that 400 mile round trip up to Cottons with them :D Tires come first though, the fancy pads and rotors will have to wait a while.

Steve

Back