FRP (fiberglass) Bumpers?

Ken Wolkens

I want smooth bumpers and instead of welding and working the steel ones I'm considering FRP for front and rear. Has anybody used the Danko Bumper Covers?

What are these bumper covers of speak of? I asked Kirwan about making slightly larger fiberglass bumpers that could just cover the steel bumper for that smooth look but he didn't think there was enough interest.

I want smooth bumpers and instead of welding and working the steel ones I'm considering FRP for front and rear. Has anybody used the Danko Bumper Covers?

I'm not aware of a Danko "bumper cover"
Only a Danko Fiberglass Bumper.
Which clearly would not fit over the stock bumper.

This is like the third post this week from someone wanting shaved bumpers - but wanting the gain, without the pain.
I suppose there may be a market for shaved bumpers.
However, as always, people may be shocked at the price tag to do it.

To clear things up, when I say "cover" I mean the outer face of the bumper which would bolt to the stock reinforcement. Not looking for something to go over the existing steel bumper outers but to replace them.

As for the cost they have them for $165 each. Just curious if anyone has used them.

I'm actually curious how you would attach them to the reinforcement if you wanted that "clean/shaved" look??

To clear things up, when I say "cover" I mean the outer face of the bumper which would bolt to the stock reinforcement. Not looking for something to go over the existing steel bumper outers but to replace them.

As for the cost they have them for $165 each. Just curious if anyone has used them.

Yup - that's just called a fiberglass bumper.
Iffy for street use, in a metropolitan area, where rear enders are common.
But it's one way to go.

I'm actually curious how you would attach them to the reinforcement if you wanted that "clean/shaved" look??

I don't think they use a reinforcement in many cases - or cut it way down to more or less just the mounting area.
Or I suppose they could be welded in.
Although I only run alum reinforcements, so I suppose that it is TIG?

Ken, the fiberglass bumpers replace the outer bumper and the reinforcement behind it. The fiberglass bumpers mount to the bumper shocks.

I don't think they use a reinforcement in many cases - or cut it way down to more or less just the mounting area.
Or I suppose they could be welded in.
Although I only run alum reinforcements, so I suppose that it is TIG?

We don't. I have a 'glass rear bumper and it bolts directly to the bumper shocks. I'm just curious how he is going to attach a 'glass "cover" to a steel or alum reinforcement without the bolts showing for that shaved look.

Also, check your PMs. I don't think the board is working correctly and I'm not sure people are receiving them from me

A fiberglass cover to go over the existing steel bumper after removing the rubber strip would be perfect on my eyes as it gives you that clean look without compromising strength.

So after thinking about this some, what about using a product like Fusor to attach the fiberglass bumper cover to the support?? I used Fusor when attaching the fiberglass bumper to the brackets that hold it to the bumper shocks. Car companies use the product to attach body panels, so why not??

I thought of that and Kirbans told me it wouldn't work because of the way the steel bumper attaches to the reinforcement with the bolts. I asked them though.

Hmm, I don't know. I have a steel front bumper and support sitting here and a rear glass one. On the front there is at least 5.5 feet of flat contact area at the top where it bolts together and close to the same at the bottom. No reason you couldn't use an adhesive such as fusor along both those locations. I don't have a rear support here to check out the back end though. I may try this

If it works for you I'm doing it too. Let me know. Kirban's said no, but maybe they just didn't want me to return the bumper if it didn't work? Also I have the aluminum reinforcement which is much lighter.

I'm just throwing this out their..if Danko is involved, run as fast as you possibly can and dont look back

I ended up using the steel bumpers by just grinding and welding the holes shut. The reinforcements and outers are now one piece. This gets the shaved look that I want but still has the strength of steel. Now off to the sandblaster they go...

photo copy.jpg

I did the same thing but welded studs in a couple of the bolt location so it still bolts to the reinforcement and can be seperated if need be. I also have aluminum reinforcements so there was no welding the steel to aluminum.