You can type here any text you want

Fuel coming from turbo

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ROCHILLIN^V6

I was out one night with my 87 GN and when It started to not run with full power. I parked it that night and next day it would not start and it looks like fuel was coming from the turbo, I check the cam senser and it was fine, the chain didnt break but it seems like the timing is off some how. Any info would be great!!! Thanks

I see you are new here, but help is always available when there is enough information about the car like mileage, mods if any, and even your location to see what climate you are located?

I "assume" you are saying raw fuel is coming out of a fitting or shaft around the turbo? :confused:

One GN I worked on years ago had this problem, turned out to be a couple injectors leaking VERY bad.

First thing I would do is pull and the spark plugs and check their coloring.

It has 140k on motor and it ran really well! The fuel vapor is coming from the air cleaner, when I turn it over the motor sounds funny like the timing is off. I checked the cam senser and it was tight. The day it started acting up I washed the engine and compartment, it stalled when I left my house, and then it was fine. When I went out for my birthday dinner it had trouble starting. When I parked it that night, the next day it wouldent start. The car has ta49 turbo, 40lbs injectors, chip, exhaust, k/n filter.

The friendly engine "wash" may have caused the problems. 25 year old electrical connections are not always watertight. If you are lucky, it will dry out and begin running as before. If you are not lucky, you may have fried the ignition module, shorted any number of relays, etc.

"washed the engine" is a rather important piece of information in this case! :D

washing the engine is a good way to kill the tps sensor

geta scantool like a scanmaster and see what numbers it shows

(here's where he says he doesnt have a scantool .. and whats a scanmaster)

You say chip. But what chip? Alot of the earlier chips cause it to run rich and with the "wash" something could be reading incorrectly causing to dump even more fuel in the engine.

washing the engine is a good way to kill the tps sensor

geta scantool like a scanmaster and see what numbers it shows

(here's where he says he doesnt have a scantool .. and whats a scanmaster)

I do know what a scanmaster and a scantool is. And I stayed away from all the major wiring and relays.

then what is the tps showing ?

the crank sensor is usually good for a washing but it could also be cracked and the water got into it,

if you dont have access to a scantool you can read the tps value with key on using a voltmeter and backprobe the center wire on the tps connector with a paperclip... if its not around .42V then you have your answer

The timing chain was smoked!!

How did you keep it lit?:p:biggrin:

At 140K miles I am amazed it lasted THAT long. Stock cam gears should be replaced before 100K.......LOOOOOooooong before.:)

I was going to suggest that maybe you hurt the ignition module. I did that years ago. Washed under hood and it go between the coil pack and ignition module. THe potting compund inside the module had small cracks in it and the water got in and fried the electronics. This may have killed your chain, too. Back fire/miss-fire caused the chain to slap hard and eat what was left of the cam gear nylon teeth. Maybe?

I was the second owner and thought it was done before. Guess not! but it did last 140k. The chain slapping hard when it was poping caused the nylon gear to break, I think that is what did happen. That does make sence!

Back