You can type here any text you want

Fuel injection problem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WH1martin

I found an 86 t-type wh1 junked it has been sitting for probably 10+ years it was originally parked because of fuel injection problems its all i know about the car dont know any symptoms it was having and was just wondering if it has been a common problem with this car could it be an easy fix

is that really the only info you have?

it could be parked for over 10 years due to a blown engine

welcome aboard, btw

The current owner is a friend of the family and claims it was fuel injection problem he did not get around to fix it because was going thru a divorce he knows I would be completely restoring it so I don't think he would lie about it claims the lower end and tranny are good he never did any mods so it's stock interior is still in great condition the body is strait with surface rust I want to buy the car because I have always like the GN and finally found one that some one is willing to part with

Sounds like a real grab bag to me. I'd consider it a parts car and buy it accordingly. If it's cheap enough you can get your money back parting it out. I've been down this road a lot of times, I wouldn't bank on it being an easy fix especially if it's been sitting for 10 years+.

Good Luck

Neal

Sounds like a real grab bag to me. I'd consider it a parts car and buy it accordingly. If it's cheap enough you can get your money back parting it out. I've been down this road a lot of times, I wouldn't bank on it being an easy fix especially if it's been sitting for 10 years+.

Good Luck

Neal

What Neal said.....
If that's the car in the avatar, it's a money pit, for sure...Starting underneath, it's likely to have some rust issues from sitting in the dirt for 10 yrs. The paint, forget that. Add in 6-10K to strip it and repaint.....Being closed up for 10 yrs, figure on a NASTY interior smell, not including the mouse damage.
U can part it, IF like Neal said, U buy it CHEAP.
In the "FWIW" dept: I've been around hot rods for over 50 yrs...Have NEVER built 1 for less than I could buy it already done, for.:eek:

Thanks guys! I do appreciate the input. I'll let you guys know what I end up doing.

so this car was just given to me a couple of days ago the one i have been talking about. so what i am wondering, can i put a battery into this car to see if it gives me any codes.... will they still be stored? can i attempt to turn it over to see what happends ofcourse after changing the fluids ?

Normally I always encourage people to work on their own cars (both for satisfaction an so they can learn something). ...

From your wording it looks like you don't have any experience with these cars, 80's era fuel injection or 'electrical cars'. I would STRONGLY recommend you post a location and have someone local help you out.
The potential here to make things worse or just give up before you are done is pretty big here. The last thing you want to do is go broke before you even get to drive it.

my main question is will there still be stored codes.....
i was looking more for a better direction than to just take it to some mechanic. i do not have any experience with this car witch is why i am asking, but thats why im here to learn i am some what mechanically inclined. suggestions on where to start and things to make sure i check before i actually try and crank the motor, fuel, spark, compression?

it was fuel injection problem so i was wanting to start there fuel pressure;where should it be at -fuel injectors? i have ordered a repair manuel and trying to get a head start is all

If the pump still spends you should see about 45psi at the fuel rail. Soft codes vanish when the battery is disconnected (or completely dead).

If the car has been sitting for that long with minimal fuel and no stabilizer, your fuel pump is probably toast as well as the injectors. You could try to turn the ignition on and see if fuel pump buzzes and fuel goes to the rail.

Put 5 gallons of 93 premium in it an new battery an grab the video Camera. If it start's, you have one hell of a video...

You will need to start at square one with a car that has been sitting that long - all fluids will need to be changed. The oil pump probably lost its prime by now, gas is probably stale at best, or pure varnish/gunk. "fuel injection problem" is a really vague assessment. Really looks like a parts-car at this point - fluids, hoses, vacuum lines, plugs, plug wires, gaskets, etc. will all need to be changed - $500 at least. Body work will be thousands and you will probably need a ton of interior parts, tires, etc...

Put a battery in it. Change the fluids. Prime the oil pump. Let's us know what happens. Anything is possible. It might fire.

do what blackgn1 said, but first i would spray fogging oil in the cylinders a couple times, a couple days apart.with plugs out and rocker shafts off so you not fighting springs, then i would see if it turns over good by hand and feel for drag and rough spots (rust) in cylinders....if it doesnt turn well or at all, you have rusty cylinders, no sense breaking rings if cylinders are shot
if it turns well and evenly...go for it after removing tank and blowing out fuel line at tank through shrader cap on fuel rail and flush tank of its varnish....
i sucessfully did this on a turbo car a couple times, one sat sixteen years in a garage in michigan, that one fired right up ran good, but fuel pump gave up after about 30 minutes...
that motor had about 155 pounds of cylinder psi when i checked it after start up...runs mid elevens still...hope this helps you

" "fuel injection problem" is a really vague assessment."... From the experience I've had over the past 18+ yrs of cleaning/flow testing injs, that assessment is not vague at all.
I frequently get injs from JY engines, that have been sitting for much shorter periods, that are absolutely plugged up. It's not so much the fuel, as it is the water in the fuel. Most injs that are not cleanable, are rusty.... Fatal!
As soon as I open the package, and see the tops of the injs are rusty, it's usually down hill from there.:(

Found my Wh1 hidden away in Alabama,sat for 10-15 years. Fresh fuel ,plugs,oil,battery.... started right up... been working on it off and on for 2 years... biggest problem was rusted thru brake and fuel lines....

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130209_104904.png
    ForumRunner_20130209_104904.png
    309 KB · Views: 62
" "fuel injection problem" is a really vague assessment."... From the experience I've had over the past 18+ yrs of cleaning/flow testing injs, that assessment is not vague at all.
I frequently get injs from JY engines, that have been sitting for much shorter periods, that are absolutely plugged up. It's not so much the fuel, as it is the water in the fuel. Most injs that are not cleanable, are rusty.... Fatal!
As soon as I open the package, and see the tops of the injs are rusty, it's usually down hill from there.:(

That is an injector problem - much more specific than "fuel injection problem" which could be anything from a fuse, bad fuel pump, electrical problem, ECM problem, etc. Sounds like a diagnosis from someone used to carbs...

Back